Author Topic: Measuring press team performance  (Read 2006 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Measuring press team performance
« on: May 17, 2021, 06:30:13 PM »
I've seen it done several ways and, sadly not at all but curious if any here do. Here are some of the data that I like to capture daily, wkly etc:
Total imprints
Total # screens registered
Total # of jobs
Avg run length

Fairly easy to capture this without bogging down crews with too much documentation. Some may want to include misprint rate and/or interruptive downtime. I believe this information can be a valuable tool with many uses.
Thoughts?

Offline avogel

Re: Measuring press team performance
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
I have recently got back to this. Order entry schedules a "planned time". Production fills out a time sheet everyday accounting for every minute they are here. Real time is measured against planned time. I am hoping to nail down a couple key problem areas and/or job types that are inefficient. Having everyone account for all their time makes them much more aware of wasted time.

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 08:09:16 AM »
I don't really log it per say, but I can always look back at Monday at any time and see what we accomplished not only screen count wise but impressions and number of jobs.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 10:42:46 AM »
In a round about way, it’s also a benefit to know in real time what press team is kicking butt simply two give a team a moral boost during a meeting or something. When you have multiple press teams and one shines, they all start to get competitive. Maybe even a small reward of a paid lunch or something for consistency.

While I was installing an I-Image at a large Headwear manufacture you all know, but I forget the name...I think it’s Paramount  (who also did screen printing in a big way), that had about 10 auto’s on the floor, The Production Mgr could see “current” progress on each press. He would coach and encourage the teams on a loud speaker. “Great job Team 6!  Going great on that order at 67 dozen an hour”. At least that’s what I heard while there.  It could be used in a negative manor as well. "Pick it up Team 4, you guys are sucking!"
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 10:56:43 AM »
In a round about way, it’s also a benefit to know in real time what press team is kicking butt simply two give a team a moral boost during a meeting or something. When you have multiple press teams and one shines, they all start to get competitive. Maybe even a small reward of a paid lunch or something for consistency.

While I was installing an I-Image at a large Headwear manufacture you all know, but I forget the name...I think it’s Paramount  (who also did screen printing in a big way), that had about 10 auto’s on the floor, The Production Mgr could see “current” progress on each press. He would coach and encourage the teams on a loud speaker. “Great job Team 6!  Going great on that order at 67 dozen an hour”. At least that’s what I heard while there.  It could be used in a negative manor as well. "Pick it up Team 4, you guys are sucking!"

I could see that being a good and a bad thing.

If team 6 is printing white ink on a black 100% cotton shirt and team 4 is printing a 12 color job on poly blends, thems not apples to apples.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 11:10:18 AM »
Of course that’s something to consider.  We all weight things out as we speak.  I mean, when someone does something normal or everyday and we say “Good job”.   Is it really a good job?  Not necessarily, but it’s not a bad job either.  Just words of encouragement.  I’m an optimist and usually see positive and offer positive feedback very easily.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Admiral

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 04:13:38 PM »
We crunch all of that info and the biggest things we use are misprint rate and overall productivity (measured as pieces/hr printed while clocked in as printer).  The productivity is important to hit quarterly bonuses which are bigger toward the end of the year, Q4 being the biggest to help us retain employees for all of Q4.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 04:21:14 PM »
We crunch all of that info and the biggest things we use are misprint rate and overall productivity (measured as pieces/hr printed while clocked in as printer).  The productivity is important to hit quarterly bonuses which are bigger toward the end of the year, Q4 being the biggest to help us retain employees for all of Q4.

How many employee do you have with offering the bonuses?

and...off topic, but ...do you still have that wet ink machine or did you evenutally go wax?  The initial one was wax it not?  It laid flat if I remember. Not a Douthit but something else. Maybe lawson?

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 09:41:25 AM »
For us we keep track of the percentage of profit on each job, and the total revenue. We keep track of the times for each job. printing, burning and art. I put the numbers in on Monday morning before our meeting and go over them.

I like doing by the week because we get an average. We have one press and 9 heads of emb.  - sometimes we may print 1 or 2 large jobs for the day, so the amount of screens or the time doesnt matter - its the percentage off profit on the job(s)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 01:27:38 PM »
For us we keep track of the percentage of profit on each job, and the total revenue. We keep track of the times for each job. printing, burning and art. I put the numbers in on Monday morning before our meeting and go over them.

I like doing by the week because we get an average. We have one press and 9 heads of emb.  - sometimes we may print 1 or 2 large jobs for the day, so the amount of screens or the time doesnt matter - its the percentage off profit on the job(s)

Very wise.  I like that.  Can you also see in your reports a “daily” and you are only pulling a weekly?

Offline Admiral

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 03:33:20 PM »

and...off topic, but ...do you still have that wet ink machine or did you evenutally go wax?  The initial one was wax it not?  It laid flat if I remember. Not a Douthit but something else. Maybe lawson?

We have about 80 employees now.

We have an I-Image ST 2 head.  The one we had before it was the Acti Legend.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 12:20:46 PM »

Very wise.  I like that.  Can you also see in your reports a “daily” and you are only pulling a weekly?

Pulling weekly.. If I had 2 presses maybe I would do daily. But with price it I can go in and look at the jobs we did for the day and get the % if I had to.

Its for our weekly meeting.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2021, 01:33:20 PM »

Oh. Not real familiar with the Legend.

80 employees?  Sweet!  You guys/gals got it going on.  I like the way you all had the front setup.  Are you in a new building now?  You had to have outgrown that one.

Offline BP

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2021, 02:58:42 PM »
The Sprite Legend was a good CTS. I think they are out of business.
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 06:51:25 PM »

Oh. Not real familiar with the Legend.

80 employees?  Sweet!  You guys/gals got it going on.  I like the way you all had the front setup.  Are you in a new building now?  You had to have outgrown that one.

Yep, we have a new building we own now, 32,000 square feet.  5 presses, embroidery has grown a lot too, we have 8 single heads and 2 multi heads.  We also are leasing 30K square feet of warehouse space now so our building is only production focused, freight trucks arrive daily at the other building.  It's working pretty well!