Author Topic: My approach to a sim process left chest.  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
My approach to a sim process left chest.
« on: May 19, 2021, 01:44:04 PM »
So, I have this vid that shows getting in a job for a school that was junk and needed to be cleaned up. I felt it needed clean dup. If I can help it, (can fit the time in), I take the time to clean things up so they can print well. Had I left this alone, it would not have come out as good and the issues with it would have been very noticeable. It’s just another example of the customer never really seeing what goes into a job, but they like it.

The other factor for this is to illustrate how I approach a (sim process job) as a left chest. I think it came out very well for what we did.

1st, When doing sim process, I push it as large as I am able,  Thats the first thing.

2nd, I look to beef up the LPI so the ti can get the most out of it...at a smaller size.  There is not much worse than doing a small sim process at 50lpi that has detail in it.

This was a Base white (230 mesh), the was pretty heavily filled. Then a Yellow, Red, Blue Black.
Going on a Grey and a Royal “polo” as a left chest.

https://youtu.be/IZDMkrfGqwU

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline zanegun08

Re: My approach to a sim process left chest.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 09:45:34 PM »
That looks pretty great for low res art and rough fabric and small size for what it is.

This would've 100% been a great option for a DTF transfer, then you don't have to worry about color counts, it's not a huge image so not a bad transfer feel, and would've saved a bunch of time.

If the customer is happy I'm happy, but in this case transfer

this is the way

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 12:23:09 AM »
I appreciate that feedback and see the validity in the content. Here, we have the time and the ability to screen print it. The detail would have come out better with the Digital print but this is pretty close. I'm considering DTF for my own use at home but for now, at work, everything will be screen printed.  At retail, we will do as few as 50 shirts. Probably even less. Doesn't really matter. As long as they are paying what we charge, we are doing good. We even have an Epson F2000 and a Kornit avalanche sitting there needing new heads but the owners not moving on it.  We could do smarter business but it's not going to happen soon. In the mean time, I'll enjoy doing these.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 06:24:11 PM »

If the customer is happy I'm happy, but in this case transfer

this is the way

Lately this is the way as well for us with DTF. Comes in super handy and everyone is happy. Good print Dan

Offline kidink

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 06:16:55 AM »
What LPI did you use in the end Dan? Great work.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 10:09:05 AM »
That’s a really nice print.  What Lpi did you end up using?  For left crest sim process 65 lpi is about as high as I can go until I can squeeze more out of the rocket launcher.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
On film, out of an Epson 1430, I did 70lpi.  Now, It’s a 600dpi printer so the quality of higher than 65lpi gets questionable. There can start to be some striations or what might look a little like banding at higher LPI from 70-85 even through people say you can do 85 on them.  You can, but it starts to lean in a negative way that high.  The only time I use higher is when I then compensate for this and open up the mid tones a little more. If I would normally take out 20% at 50% area making my 50,
 a 40, in this case,  I take the 50 down to to 35% or even 30.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 12:57:56 PM by Dottonedan »