Author Topic: hoodies shifting  (Read 4046 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
hoodies shifting
« on: May 28, 2021, 10:20:59 AM »
I have tried 3 different mist type glues, 1 web type spray adhesive and water base pallet adhesive. I seem to have more trouble than I should printing hoodies. I have a couple of ideas in mind. I think maybe I have too much squeegee pressure. I have to print white ink at 50+ psi to clear the screen. Could that be my problem? I'm in FL. Could humidity be causing my issue?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of messing up what should be simple prints!
Thanks-
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: hoodies shifting
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 10:29:25 AM »
we use 384 SPRAYWAY SUPER FLASH ADHESIVE on our hoodies...

web spray dosent work well with heat.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 10:32:08 AM »
 Unless the heat breaking down the wrong adhesive turns out to be your issue, as for the pressure needed to clear the white, what mesh are you using? Could too fine of a mesh be adding to the need for increased pressure?
Also, in the old days, when I was starting out, Union's advice was to base it down a bit (though counterintuitive for opacity) if that's what it took to clear the screen.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 10:38:46 AM »
web glue, One Stroke inks. S mesh..... Web glue works well for us, the mist stuff was ok too but man, you do not want to breath that in, plus it gets on everything.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Croft

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 10:59:11 AM »
We don't use mist on fleece , have no problem with Albatross dry web. We have also used our roller in head one on difficult fleece jobs to make it compact and smooth that may help.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 11:16:20 AM »
Unless the heat breaking down the wrong adhesive turns out to be your issue, as for the pressure needed to clear the white, what mesh are you using? Could too fine of a mesh be adding to the need for increased pressure?
Also, in the old days, when I was starting out, Union's advice was to base it down a bit (though counterintuitive for opacity) if that's what it took to clear the screen.
I use all different meshes according to the job. My press is one of the first diamondbacks and I have never been able to get it to print white without double stroke and a lot of pressure. I am not sure why. I can take the same screen over to the manual and print with very little effort... I have to double stroke most inks at what I would call high pressure (30+psi).

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »
Web glue and I always do a flash followed by roller squeegee before printing anything on the hoodie. It somewhat pre-shrinks the hoodie and the roller really flattens that fleece down to the pallet. Adds some extra time to production, but the results are worth it IMO.

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 11:28:24 AM »
All good info. I will buy a roller soon. I think I need bigger press too!
have a great weekend.
Matt

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 01:55:13 PM »
I use all different meshes according to the job. My press is one of the first diamondbacks and I have never been able to get it to print white without double stroke and a lot of pressure. I am not sure why. I can take the same screen over to the manual and print with very little effort... I have to double stroke most inks at what I would call high pressure (30+psi).

We have a diamondback also - 50 psi and 2 strokes normally. Always been that way for us. Even though we were told it shouldn't be..LOL

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 03:21:41 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I know it is something with the press because I can print on the manual or my neighbors brown (electra print - I think)  with no problems and 20 psi...

We have a diamondback also - 50 psi and 2 strokes normally. Always been that way for us. Even though we were told it shouldn't be..LOL

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2021, 11:45:07 PM »
Make sure you are not over flashing?      Some hoodies tend to shrink a little when over flashed.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »
Make sure you are not over flashing?      Some hoodies tend to shrink a little when over flashed.

THIS!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2021, 01:07:23 PM »

This could also add to an increase in residual board heat that gets right back to possible breakdown of web spray adhesive.
This job can be a freakin' tightrope walk sometimes.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »
The only time we ever have a fleece shift on the table, and this applies to a lot of synthetics shirts as well is because of heat. Before we print hoodies we make sure the machine and tables are fully warmed up and we have the flash adjusted to the bare minimum to make sure only the ink flashes and the garment does not shrink. When we print like that tho its hit the go button and never stop, no taking a 30 second break to chat nothing. The flash is set so low that a couple extra seconds can be enough cooling time to not flash the next shirt.

Once in a blue moon we get in some weird garments for like the cross fit people, really flimsy all synthetic and shrink like hell. Those we always run dry under the flash first before printing.

50PSI sounds a hell of a lot of pressure just to clear the screen. Not sure how that correlates ti the DB, maybe table deflection?
"No man is an island"

Offline Pangea

• !!!
  • Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 02:04:35 PM »
It's a pain but if we're printing high end hoodies (we're in Under Armour country) we'll throw them through the dryer to pre shrink them or if it's a large order we'll pre-flash them for higher color counts or if registration is tight. Same deal with tri-blends from time to time.