Author Topic: AI seps question  (Read 2076 times)

Offline 1964GN

AI seps question
« on: June 18, 2021, 06:45:08 AM »
We are about to take on a large contract client and they supply all sep in AI. I only do seps in AI when there is no underbase. If I need an underbase I always do my seps in PS. Call me lazy.
All seps are dropped in a AI template, saved as a PDF and dropped in the Xitron rip and sent to the a Douthitt CTS. Is there a way to get the underbase to be ripped? Every time I have tried the UB is blank because it's under the other colors. What is the secret (if there is one)?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: AI seps question
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 07:45:22 AM »
Select the colors that are printing on the base, (it's not always every color) and on the Attributes pallet, check Overprint. That will keep the base from being knocked out.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 09:57:07 AM »
Select the colors that are printing on the base, (it's not always every color) and on the Attributes pallet, check Overprint. That will keep the base from being knocked out.

Steve

BINGO!  This issue common for screen print art departments to not know about. I can’t imagine not using it.

I learned that way back in the earlier years when you had to read the Adobe book that came along with the program. That’s where I picked it up.  It’s a pre flight check point. and to add to this, use SEPARATION PREVIEW under windows.  I know of shops that have purchased 3rd part programs to preview the seps before production or they use acrobat to preview and it’s always been a feature in Illustrator.

When in Sep preview, you have to first have the (file, Document color mode) as CMYK.  This is to enable the multiply feature.  Ironically, once in CMYK color mode, you have to hide the CMYK color eyeballs (since there should be none)... to view the look of the spot colors. In these cases, I like to color the base as some unique color from the file (often 90%cyan or 90%magenta) and use those for my base and a top white. This is so that I can see what is knocking out with (computer default white) that some call “process white” since process white doesn’t print and can’t be told to over print for that reason.When you have the base set to OVERPRINT, and the TOP WHITE set to overprint and one is blue, and the other is pink, you can clearly see that they are printing over top of each other. Same for color.

(I always custom name my spot colors and label them 1,Base 2,yellow, 3 Red etc. This is good for CTS also since when sending the files, you can use the feature in Illustrator to include the color name info on each sep and you don’t have to type them out yourself).

The other thing is, when using overprint, you can put the base at bottom, or top of the stacking order (like a top white).  Stacking each color over top of each other in layers.  This is great for exporting layers into photoshop too by the way.

These two features are KEY to vector seps.

SEPARATION PREVIEW.
OVERPRINT.
LAYERS.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »
We are about to take on a large contract client and they supply all sep in AI. I only do seps in AI when there is no underbase. If I need an underbase I always do my seps in PS. Call me lazy.
All seps are dropped in a AI template, saved as a PDF and dropped in the Xitron rip and sent to the a Douthitt CTS. Is there a way to get the underbase to be ripped? Every time I have tried the UB is blank because it's under the other colors. What is the secret (if there is one)?

My previous post was pertaining to when you HAVE to print from Illustrator.  I also prefer all of my bases and seps via Photoshop.  Much of my vector is taken into photoshop.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline siestasol

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 11:30:06 AM »
The RIGHT way to do is using the Overprint.
But, you can duplicate the file, put the same "unique" color to all the parts of the design You want underbased, and send to CTS. Also You can "trap" your design or use different gradients for your underbase. Some times is more easy to see the underbase and "specially" when the files have a ton of elements...

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 12:04:07 PM »
You will love this video Ben@RisingSunGraphics made for me many years ago. It explains beautifully everything you have been asking about. It shows how to use the overprint command how to cut out overlapping colors etc. Based on that video I’ve made myself a whole set of actions for
Illustrator which we are using now for many years and I don’t wanna be caught without them anylonger.
Honestly I’d well worth watching it.
https://youtu.be/ZDXTEqu5JUg

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 02:49:42 AM »
In Corel I just copy all the art and past it in a new page.    I use the new page to create the base.
When I send the file to the Xitron I print via Acrobat pages 1 and 2.     This opens up in the Douthitt as one file.
I assume this will work in Ill as well.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »
Thank you all for your help. Good stuff!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 12:43:17 PM »
In Corel I just copy all the art and past it in a new page.    I use the new page to create the base.
When I send the file to the Xitron I print via Acrobat pages 1 and 2.     This opens up in the Douthitt as one file.
I assume this will work in Ill as well.

The difference here is that in this method, you have the base there (below the art) or even on top if you prefer, all in one file. One send.
This helps keep things easy. You can use the file for color print proofs and for production. Nothing to change.

In Illustrator, there are multiple other methods (at least two more) to send a base white, but this is the most efficient method.

This also applies to Corel as well.  Having done this, I knew there was a way in Corel, and while I worked at one shop that only had Corel for a while, I found the method. It’s a bit more of a step in Corel, bit it’s possible there as well. It’s THE correct way to send production files. It’s been so long now since I’ve used Corel, I don’t remember the specifics of where and what.  But that doesn’t make your method and file any less correct. It’s just different and with one more added step.