Author Topic: New to printing seps at home studio  (Read 1269 times)

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
New to printing seps at home studio
« on: July 15, 2021, 05:37:10 PM »
Solutions for Screenprinters not to easy to deal with cannot talk to a person so reaching out to old friends here. Heres the skinny:
Cannon Pixma pro 100 with Accurip (new but in storage 2 ys climate controlled) print head sealed and now installed with the cmyKs Activation code was accepted. Recd from Ryonet the all black replacement syringe kit but did not switch out yet, No separation software, not looking for a monthly bill for that. Sending some BW photos to printer and printer accepts the film and heads acting like they are printing however film exits out of the printer blank. So.... is the no sep software the issue or all black ink issue, all of the above, or more?
Thank you all in advance tp

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: New to printing seps at home studio
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »
Did you do a head cleaning and nozzle check to see if the print heads worked, that is where I would start being it been sitting for 2 years, oh and is Accurip still working? I got an End of Life code on my old Accurip
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online rusty

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 06:18:38 PM »
I just picked up a pixma as a backup. I couldnt get it to work with my accurip and as far as I can tell it doesn't do half tones very well cause of no rip.. I have only used it for spot color and simple graphics and for that I have had to print everything in grayscale. It doesn't print from channels.

I could very well be wrong. I was in a bit of a rush for a solution.

Hopefully someone can chime in

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
There are a couple things to mention.

1 Pertaining to 3Deep's reply. [/size][ quote] [/size][size=78%]"[/size][/size][size=78%]Did you do a head cleaning and nozzle check to see if the print heads worked, that is where I would start being it been sitting for 2 years, oh and is Accurip still working? I got an End of Life code on my old Accurip” [/end quote][/size]
[/size]
I would bet that the lines need primed with ink after sitting so long. They may even be dried up if it had ink in it via testing before shipping.

2, Pertaining to Rusty’s reply.
If using AccuRip on your printer, then more than likely, there tis a way for you to print spot colors via Photoshop as well as Pre-Halftoned Bitmap seps.  Even Pre halftoned Greyscale seps for that matter. All you do once bitmapped is change the file mode back to Greyscale 1:1 ratio.

To print from Photoshop using Accurip, all you do is (once ready to print seps)...

A, Delete all RGB/cmyk channels and selection/mask channels. The only thing you should have left is the SPOT color channels for your seps. It won’t let you do this any other way. You can only have the spot colors in it.

B, Go to the print window, be sure to choose your printer Setup with the AccurRIP name next to it in the printer options such as AccuRip to Epson1430.

C, Then Click on the Print Settings button to assure you have the right film size.

D, (most important) Under COLOR MANAGEMENT and below that is COLOR HANDLING.  Change that to SEPARATIONS. This enables AccuRip to read the right file type and print your spot color seps as Multi Channel Spot Color Seps.

Once TonyP is able to get ink to his lines and print head, he may be able to convert his art separations to halftones and print using the above method. You can only create the halftones with (one separation) at a time. If I do bitmaps for anyone, I "select all", on one sep and copy, paste to a new greyscale file and then BITMAP that. You can’t bitmap a multi channel file.Then I convert back to greyscale and then bring it back into my (multi channel) mode...Spot channel work file.

Getting the ink to the print head out of the printer may be the first challenge. We can figure out the rest.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 08:54:10 PM »
Thanks all.....I shall receive the d-max ink kit shortly and start there. Then an older vs of photoshop may be in order. I do not do this enough to justify the monthly fee as of yet. Just looking to get up and running