Author Topic: The word on Tee St is that INK purchases will be restricted very soon.  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
The work on the Tee Shirt street is that INK purchases are like soup in NY. It will be restricted very soon. I’m told all brands, but who knows? Could be only Wilfex, Union, Rutland, and er I mean PolyOne. Wait...whats the new name?  yea, that one.

One pint for you...and One pint for you...and

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
https://youtu.be/svSGKJFSl-8
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
Re: The word on Tee St is that INK purchases will be restricted very soon.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 09:28:57 PM »
I am assuming this is a plastisol thing / plastics. Water base printers maybe fair better? I hope so. Colin? Paging Colin. Come in Sir

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 06:13:58 AM »
not soon, but already happening.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 06:17:25 AM »
Indeed, many/most of us are or will be restricted to app 75% of previous purchase history. So....conserve, convert, and communicate!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 06:50:23 AM »
Indeed, many/most of us are or will be restricted to app 75% of previous purchase history. So....conserve, convert, and communicate!

One of our suppliers said the same thing. His question to them was "You only shipped 50% of what we ordered now you are saying we are only going to get 75% of the 50% you shipped previously?"

The world has gone insane.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
not soon, but already happening.
True. Got notification from Avient a couple of weeks ago that ink purchases will be restricted to a certain value.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 07:39:29 AM »
doesn't really matter though, we won't have anything to print on anyway with all these shortages...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2021, 11:32:32 AM »
doesn't really matter though, we won't have anything to print on anyway with all these shortages...

To say nothing of the potential for a lot fewer clients.
Not only do dead men not wear plaid, they don't order our freakin' T-Shirts!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »
I mentioned conversion above. Some mixing software systems offer color conversion apps (example 102 yellow to 123 gold). This may help some however since I have yet to try it the jury is out as to accuracy. Before software existed we did this all by eye, royal to navy, forest to hunter etc. Generally speaking it is usually more difficult to lighten a hue but not impossible. Old school color theory still applies: we tint with white, shade with black, and change hue intensity with color. For some, this might help to convert less used inks into core colors. Time to get creative and make best use of what is on hand. My uneducated guess is that white, base, mixing system components, and core colors will be the manufacturing focus and specialty ink products may come to a halt for the short term if not longer.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2021, 09:56:20 PM »
Received this notification from Avient in early August this year.

“ At Avient we appreciate the value of supply continuity for you and the customers you serve. We are in an unprecedented period of supply chain disruption in many businesses. Multiple suppliers have declared Force Majeure on key raw materials. As the underlying reasons for the force majeure declarations are industry wide, alternate raw material suppliers face the same challenging conditions.

In response, Avient has a team of professionals in procurement, supply chain, and logistics who are working diligently to minimize the impact of these events. We remain in ongoing communications with our raw material suppliers and logistics partners. Still, certain aspects are not within our control as our raw material suppliers manage these same issues.

At this point we do know that shortages of raw materials will affect our production capabilities in the coming months. To mitigate the impact on our customers, Avient must implement the following temporary changes in distributing products:
1.      Existing orders (orders placed before 7/30) will be filled. Delivery dates are estimates, and the timeline for delivery will remain extended.

2. As to new orders, we anticipate the following:
Effective immediately, Avient is limiting each customer’s purchases to 75% of the dollar value of your January through June 2021 average monthly shipments. This means that each month’s orders will not exceed this average monthly value.

This limit only applies to shipments out of our Kennesaw, GA and Widnes, UK facilities. ”

Offline Biverson

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2021, 10:14:38 PM »
Everyone is having trouble. I wanted to try out some Monarch and the dealers I talked to all said Monarch's behind and sending out split shipments, and the suppliers aren't even sure what's on them. This isn't to crap on Monarch, but yeah....everyone is hurting. I wanted to get some more Aquarius in and supplier is out of discharge base. I waited 3 months from Nazdar to get some Maroon PC pigment. Midwest sent me a Fiver of Epic Top Score LC base and I wanted just the standard LC base. I was gonna return the top score, but Midwest said they're out of the other....I'm keeping the top score for sure. Seems to be lots of Matsui out there so might be doing more WB.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Online Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 06:59:13 PM »
from January to June we were printing on two of our five autos. now that we have four out of five presses staffed - it now sounds like we can only buy 75 percent of our previous purchases. that means i need twice as much ink but can only buy enough for 1 3/4...

the company i work for prints for Broadway shows, TV shows and musicians. now that everything is opening back up on broadway and bands are touring we have been printing like crazy. instead of ordering by the 5g i need to order by the 30g but cant because my suppliers dont have stock and dont know when they will be restocked...  it was an interesting conversation with one of the owners when i told them i couldn't buy ink.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 04:47:01 PM »
We just got hit with the same.  Nazdar allowed us to order a gal of Wilflex PC but that's it until September. 

Lucky that we mix 99% of our inks in house and are stocked deep in PC but, if this goes on into the busy season, we're worried about base and whites for sure.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 04:47:54 PM »
it was an interesting conversation with one of the owners when i told them i couldn't buy ink.

LOL, at this point I'm sure nothing is surprising. 

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 05:55:08 PM »
This is all getting so tiresome.  I've got enough of everything to last untill well into 22' but at the rate we're going it will just be worse then.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.