Author Topic: Illustrator ?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Illustrator ?
« on: August 31, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
Is the new Illy worth spending a monthly fee, I've kind of been an old dinosaur when it comes to moving to something new, looking on youtube tuts and saw some things in the newer illy that makes things I do now manually very easy....Pros/Cons

Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Illustrator ?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 04:17:52 PM »
I've bought and paid for it since 3.0, the annual upgrades were reasonable enough, but then eventually, they went subscription only and I didn't really have a choice. It's worth it to me, I certainly wouldn't want to be without it, not that I couldn't get by with Inkscpape or some other if I had to.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »
I know I got corel, illy, photoshop all types of drawing programs that still work just not on the new platforms, kind breaks my heart with all those death programs LOL :'(
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »
I know I got corel, illy, photoshop all types of drawing programs that still work just not on the new platforms, kind breaks my heart with all those death programs LOL :'(

if it aint broke, don't fix it!
subscription is $55 or so per month... you can get the first year discounted, but that goes by fast. How much time is it going to save you? If it's an hour per month it might not be worth it. If it's 3 hours, I'd spend the money.
Eventually you will have to upgrade since they will not work when you update the computer next time (or time after that).
pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 08:04:25 PM »
I just use Illustrator portion of Suite.....And it is well worth it to me...

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »
I posted a nice reply (I think), but it didn't take. I think I was on my phone doing it...and got called away. But skipping over the details here,

At work, I'm on a mac. Upgrades are easy and fast. Always on the latest version (at work).

At home, I'm on a PC and had it built new in 2018 with them knowing, I would be using Photoshop and Illustrator from the cloud.
For whatever reason, Adobe Creative suite does not let me run the latest versions on my pc. I'm only running a version from 2017.  I'd have to upgrade my computer above what it is in order to upgrade tot he latest.

having said that, and knowing what I get from the Mac and Adobe, it's nothing different that I can see or use from my much older version at home.

I'm a tight wad when it comes to spending on my programs but I'd never go back now.  I do like the paid subscription.
Going backwards to a CS6 or older is a huge difference but anything newer is no issue.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Croft

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 07:19:29 AM »
I have the latest version of Ai but use CS6 for photoshop so if you just get Ai its just over $20 a month with is pretty cheap