Author Topic: Need a new bookkeeper, looking for software  (Read 1469 times)

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
Need a new bookkeeper, looking for software
« on: September 20, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »
Hey all,

Our bookkeeper is looking to retire in the coming months and I'm exploring how to best handle her replacement.  She has been with the company from the beginning and does everything in an old school kind of way.  I'm thinking that along with finding her replacement we should find more modern solutions for some of her tasks.  She enters all of our Alpha/S&S/Etc bills by hand, matching them up to their invoices in Quickbooks.  She does our payroll directly through QB, writes checks to all of our vendors and mails them through the USPS, receives checks from customers and deposits them at the bank with a handwritten deposit slip.  I'm sure there are more modern ways to do these things nowadays.

How do you guys handle these tasks, any insight you can share that can easily integrate with Quickbooks Enterprise?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Need a new bookkeeper, looking for software
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 09:18:04 AM »
Hey all,

Our bookkeeper is looking to retire in the coming months and I'm exploring how to best handle her replacement.  She has been with the company from the beginning and does everything in an old school kind of way.  I'm thinking that along with finding her replacement we should find more modern solutions for some of her tasks.  She enters all of our Alpha/S&S/Etc bills by hand, matching them up to their invoices in Quickbooks.  She does our payroll directly through QB, writes checks to all of our vendors and mails them through the USPS, receives checks from customers and deposits them at the bank with a handwritten deposit slip.  I'm sure there are more modern ways to do these things nowadays.

How do you guys handle these tasks, any insight you can share that can easily integrate with Quickbooks Enterprise?

Thank you for your thoughts.

you can get a check scanner from your bank and do the deposits from the office.
also, QB will tie into most banks and download the transactions. Those two should save you a little bit of time.
We use Heartland for payroll, but mainly due to the sales rep who takes care of making sure we are on time with Worker's Comp and and similar issues. He's been very helpful during the COVID money giveaways and usually has an answer for any HR related questions (in most cases a referral to one of his other customer who do that for living). We just set up face recognition time clock, so pretty soon the payroll processing time will be few min per week. Everybody is on direct deposit so no checks are written. They also use their accounts to check the paycheck stubs.
Most banks offer bill payment, so you can pay them with mailing anything. For a fee some will offer ACH payments too.
I think QuickBooks might even have something along those lines too (bill pay and ACH).

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
Re: Need a new bookkeeper, looking for software
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
Thanks Pierre, i'll check into that stuff.  Much appreciated