Author Topic: Money saving Tip!  (Read 5956 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Money saving Tip!
« on: September 27, 2021, 03:34:14 PM »
For you that still use a compressor in your shops, if you haven't or not in a while, go make a few turns on your compressors peacock and let the water build up out, I know we have dryer/chillers between the press and the compressor, but letting that water out helps, just did ours and more water came out than I expected  ::)
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: Money saving Tip!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 04:22:33 PM »
OMG!  I took your tip and went back there and opened mine up for the 1st time in about a year or 2 and had no Idea!  I know there was atleast 3 1/2 gallons that blasted out of there.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 05:12:01 PM »
Or add an auto drain? Peace of mind and not too expensive
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
I think I drained 5 gallons the first time I did it. Installed auto-purge since then. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 06:06:49 PM »
When we had to move 4 years ago, we had 2 50 gallon compressors, and one of them probably had 30 gallons of water in it, LOL.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 06:52:28 PM »
I think I drained 5 gallons the first time I did it. Installed auto-purge since then. . .

pierre
That will be my next purchase.
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:57:12 AM »
Or add an auto drain? Peace of mind and not too expensive
This. We have auto drains on the compressor and chiller. Worth every penny.

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 09:29:45 AM »
hey all you really should look into an auto drain it is very dangerous to have moisture (water ) build up in any pressurized component especially the receiver tank. The trapped water brings corrosion that you can not see when extensive enough it can result in explosive failure of the containment vessel. If you have ignored this for a long time maybe then a $20.00 bore scope from Amazon working through your smart phone can save you from  a potential disaster.
Here is a YouTube search on compressor blowups...worth a look
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=compressor+tank+blowout
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 10:03:39 AM »
You don't drain it daily? Last thing I did before leaving the shop every night was open the valve to let all the water out. Most manufacturers recommend to drain daily or at least weekly to prevent premature tank rot. If you don't have an auto drain definitely drain it daily in my opinion.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 04:11:42 PM »
hey all you really should look into an auto drain it is very dangerous to have moisture (water ) build up in any pressurized component especially the receiver tank. The trapped water brings corrosion that you can not see when extensive enough it can result in explosive failure of the containment vessel. If you have ignored this for a long time maybe then a $20.00 bore scope from Amazon working through your smart phone can save you from  a potential disaster.
mooseman

I've seen enough of those to know I don't want to see another one.

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 04:52:09 PM »
I've always installed the Kaeser air towers with everything built in from the chillers to automatic drainage and bells and whistles. I love the engineering that goes into them but it stops there. Too much else to do and I'm happy to report these machines by this brand are built like tanks that monitor themselves. I can see the next generation of them just sending an automatic diagnostic report by email to you.

Offline Northland

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 04:52:54 PM »
mooseman

I've seen enough of those to know I don't want to see another one.

It might also be prudent to remind folks that using PVC pipe for compressed airlines is also a big No-No.
When it ruptures (and it can) it throws off shards of shrapnel that can be very hazardous.
Standard PVC pipe is not rated for use on compressed air.... by any manufacturer

Offline kingscreen

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2021, 11:41:37 PM »
We drain ours weekly. Easy maintenance.
Scott Garnett
King Screen

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 06:50:39 AM »
I have a valve on a timer that releases water for 5 seconds every 15 minutes.
All my air lines are black irrigation pipes, 11/4" 16 bar.      Never had a problem.      Very eary to connect.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »
Well I'm doing the big NO NO ::) I got thick 1/2 pvc pipe running from the compressor to the chiller, buttttt the outside pipe is inside a metal pipe and the pvc running on the inside shop is wrapped in a foam sleeve, so far no problem with anything busting.  I didn't want to run metal because the fear of rust over the years, but I do need drain my tank more often.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!