Author Topic: Stahls vinyl  (Read 1394 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Stahls vinyl
« on: October 19, 2021, 10:46:51 AM »
Well it's really crazy, I ordered a few rolls of vinyl from stahls, and what did I get a backorder until November, we use a bunch of thermo-film so if your looking for white forget it, thought I would be smart and get ahead of the curve.  Talk with a friend of mine that works in logistics, and he was telling me other countries are moving shipments with no problem, it's just our ports and unions blocking things up here.  So with that anyone buying vinyl from another place that compare to stahls thermo-film, we might can get by with?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

Re: Stahls vinyl
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 11:10:24 AM »
Garston in Massachusetts started carrying some stahls a while back.  maybe they have some?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 11:46:59 AM »
Well it's really crazy, I ordered a few rolls of vinyl from stahls, and what did I get a backorder until November, we use a bunch of thermo-film so if your looking for white forget it, thought I would be smart and get ahead of the curve.  Talk with a friend of mine that works in logistics, and he was telling me other countries are moving shipments with no problem, it's just our ports and unions blocking things up here.  So with that anyone buying vinyl from another place that compare to stahls thermo-film, we might can get by with?

First off, I switched away from Thermo-Film as my standard years ago in favor of Thermo Flex from Specialty Materials and then Easy Weed from Siser. Both are a little thinner and feel more supple.
Now, as for your statement of Unions being the cause of delays at the ports, is that what Fox news says? Any lengthy discussions on this subject will go to the cage, but from what I see and hear, this is not a union issue. In fact, The International Longshore and Warehouse Union, which represents the dockworkers, said some time back that its members would work a third shift or on weekends, but the pileup of containers must first be fetched out of the port, so there is space to unload more from ships. This is simply, a lack of workers. crap happens during plagues! And, most of us and the rest of the world have relied on just in time delivery for years.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Croft

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »
I had heard about thermo film stock a couple of months ago , they had said then that it was an adhesive plant in Texas that was behind causing an issue ?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »

First off, I switched away from Thermo-Film as my standard years ago in favor of Thermo Flex from Specialty Materials and then Easy Weed from Siser. Both are a little thinner and feel more supple.
Now, as for your statement of Unions being the cause of delays at the ports, is that what Fox news says? Any lengthy discussions on this subject will go to the cage, but from what I see and hear, this is not a union issue. In fact, The International Longshore and Warehouse Union, which represents the dockworkers, said some time back that its members would work a third shift or on weekends, but the pileup of containers must first be fetched out of the port, so there is space to unload more from ships. This is simply, a lack of workers. crap happens during plagues! And, most of us and the rest of the world have relied on just in time delivery for years.
No Frog I didn't hear this on Fox (henhouse) just from my old bud telling me this since he works in logistics, and I have not a clue to what the hold up is, just I'm not getting shipments, but I will check out thermo flex...I used some siser the other day and yes I found it kind of thin, but we have to do what we got to do to get the jobs out.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »

No Frog I didn't hear this on Fox (henhouse) just from my old bud telling me this since he works in logistics, and I have not a clue to what the hold up is, just I'm not getting shipments, but I will check out thermo flex...I used some siser the other day and yes I found it kind of thin, but we have to do what we got to do to get the jobs out.

On a related note, you might mention to your sons that truck driving seems to be a really good occupation! Looks like high pay and job security for some time.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »
I am seeing shortages from our supplier Twillusa.com.

I bought 50 yards of sportsfilm in white last week but only got 30 yards, then substituted the rest with flex film, which I increased to another 50 yards to be prepared.
"No man is an island"

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 08:58:57 PM »
Did you check if Siser  got a comparable product. We haven`t used Stahls products in years. To me they are just one of many vinyl suppliers, out there. Nothing special about their products.  We are using local products that work as well if not even better then Stahls vinyl. Doesn`t help you though, sorry.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 09:11:34 PM »
Stahls thermo Film is a little tougher than the Siser Easy Weed, but that's because it's twice as thick! For fashion applications, thinner is desirable, and I have found it holds up fine for the level of athletic teams I get.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2021, 07:48:02 AM »
It's my understanding that there are a small handful of companies in the world that make HTV. Most of what you get is private labeled. If it has the same specs as the next guy it's likely the same stuff under a different name.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2021, 08:29:43 AM »
It's my understanding that there are a small handful of companies in the world that make HTV. Most of what you get is private labeled. If it has the same specs as the next guy it's likely the same stuff under a different name.

Specialty Adhesive Film CO, is a big manufacturer
"No man is an island"

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2021, 08:33:56 AM »

Specialty Adhesive Film CO, is a big manufacturer

From what I've seen over the years, Stahls, Siser, and Specialty Materials are the big three.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
Stahls thermo Film is a little tougher than the Siser Easy Weed, but that's because it's twice as thick! For fashion applications, thinner is desirable, and I have found it holds up fine for the level of athletic teams I get.

This is why I prefer stahls thermo-film it's thicker and I feel like it's more durable than others, we do lots of ball jerseys with names and numbers, but I will be trying other vinyl's now.  Frog you might be on to something there about using the thin vinyl's on the dri-fit type stuff gives it a softer feel, Thanks ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:38:51 PM by 3Deep »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2021, 03:30:06 PM »

This why I prefer stahls thermo-film it's thicker and I feel like it's more durable than others, we do lots of ball jerseys with names and numbers, but I will be trying other vinyl's now.  Frog you might be on to something there about using the thin vinyl's on the dri-fit type stuff gives it a softer feel, Thanks ;)

Darryl, we use the Siser Easy Weed for just about everything when needed, and as Andy says, it's great on performance material.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2021, 05:39:34 AM »
We buy Stahls Reflective laser cut HTV for a client. They told us it's the exact same stuff as Sisser, so I am assuming it's from the same manufacture just branded.