Author Topic: Great Tip for Hat Platens with Rubber Lifting  (Read 939 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Great Tip for Hat Platens with Rubber Lifting
« on: November 01, 2021, 12:01:31 PM »
A tip of the hat to Aaron Knight of the George Knight company for a great suggestion. My current platens, and especially the most used "mid sized" show their age, especially the rubber pads lifting. Because of the way caps are loaded, there is a tendency to put a lot of wear and tear on the corners which subsequently lift from the die-cast body. I've never had good luck re-attaching the pads, though RTV Silicone Adhesive has been suggested.
Aaron told me that many have solved this problem by wrapping the pad with fabric from a polyester performance shirt, both easing the loading and preserving the corners! I cut a hunk of old shirt, stretched it over, and wrapped a little duct tape around the base to secure it, and VOILA! What a difference!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Great Tip for Hat Platens with Rubber Lifting
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 12:37:12 PM »
Aaron is A-OK, he's helped me out with a  couple of projects. I know there's a gasket sealant available from auto parts stores, but I'm also sure I have at least a couple of performance rejects in the text box. Thanks Andy.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Great Tip for Hat Platens with Rubber Lifting
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »
Aaron is A-OK, he's helped me out with a  couple of projects. I know there's a gasket sealant available from auto parts stores, but I'm also sure I have at least a couple of performance rejects in the text box. Thanks Andy.

Steve

The poly fabric eases loading as well. No friction grip like the rubber produces. On and off in a snap.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?