Author Topic: Metallic Air Dry Ink  (Read 2835 times)

Offline futurecolors

Metallic Air Dry Ink
« on: November 09, 2021, 01:04:46 PM »
We have been printing cardboard for some chapstick packaging for a while now with Metallic HSA and letting it air dry overnight. Obviously this isnt getting fully cured but we had some success during the summer months. Now the customer is coming back to us saying that the cardboard is sticking together and the image area is getting damaged when pulled apart. Do any of you know of a good air dry metallic ink that has a short dry time? We do about 6 different colored metallic so it would need to have some sort of mixing system. Thanks!

Offline rusty

Re: Metallic Air Dry Ink
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 01:13:07 PM »
Call Nazdar

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 01:20:34 PM »
Back in the day when I printed flatstock as well as shirts, I mixed my own using the appropriate base with metal powders from Crescent.
https://www.crescentbronze.com/
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline futurecolors

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 01:41:43 PM »
Back in the day when I printed flatstock as well as shirts, I mixed my own using the appropriate base with metal powders from Crescent.

we do have quite a bit of crecent powders in house. Will probably experiment today to try and match the look weve been getting with HSA. Any advice on what base to use for going onto non coated cardboard?

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 02:20:01 PM »

we do have quite a bit of crecent powders in house. Will probably experiment today to try and match the look weve been getting with HSA. Any advice on what base to use for going onto non coated cardboard?

Nope, as I'm not really familiar with what's out there nowadays. (I assume something in the "poster ink" category) As Rusty suggested, Nazdar has always been good about matching inks and substrates.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline futurecolors

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 02:23:21 PM »
alright, thanks for the help!

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »
I have used nazdar 7200 for years. They have an overcoat clear and metallic pigments that work well. They offer a catalyst but I stopped using it a long time ago. We run everything under hair dryers for about 60 seconds with low/no heat. I use 195/225 for most prints. I have on occasion used a 160 but the dry time goes up drastically.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Rob Coleman

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 12:15:43 PM »
Inkanswers@nazdar.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rob Coleman | Vice President
Textile Business Unit | Nazdar SourceOne | sourceone.nazdar.com
(800) 677-4657 ext. 3708 | Cell (678) 230-4463
rcoleman@nazdar.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 01:35:44 PM »
Could you not run these boxes through the dryer at a very low temp to help with drying?, I don't think a low temp little faster speed will hurt the boxes
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »
Could you not run these boxes through the dryer at a very low temp to help with drying?, I don't think a low temp little faster speed will hurt the boxes

I have run boxes through our Sprint 2000 dryer back in the day without problems, I think it would only go so low though - like 200F or something like that so there is a bottom limit if you have the heat on!