Author Topic: DTG vs. Screen Printing  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
DTG vs. Screen Printing
« on: November 28, 2021, 04:55:39 PM »
Years ago, (pre-white ink), I was visited by "The Man in Black" (forgot his name, but I bet some of you know who I mean) from Brother, trying to sell me on this then new technology . At the time, he made what I thought was an outrageous claim of when all time and expenses are factored in, it was more practical to Inkjet 100 full color white shirts than sep, burn screens, set up, and screen print them.
What's the situation today?
If pricing gets really specific, that's cool, but I might move the discussion to the pricing section.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Re: DTG vs. Screen Printing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 09:26:22 PM »
Depends on how good your screen dept is & how well you can sep in house. I can do a sim process sep pretty quick with the assistance of ultra seps, send it to the CTS & have screens on press pretty quickly maybe an hour or two), just depends on art complexity and your separation skills. With tri loc & CTS setup time is much reduced. Our press op can often register screens faster than the press assistant can put squeegees / floods & ink in the heads. We find that printing sim process is actually easier many times than vector art with lots of spot colors & flashing. But you have to really nail the sep, print order, & know what the hell you’re doing. I’d run 100 pcs sim process for a retail customer all day long. First time might need a tweak, but we usually are 90-95% there on the first go and tweak on reprints.

Offline BACjc

• Verified/Junior
  • Bumperactive - Stickers and Tees
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 02:25:39 PM »
With a full on process or sim-process our deciding point is around 53 pieces on darks based solely on "the numbers".  That said, there is way more to it then "the numbers".  Art, garment type, department workloads vs desired turn times, client preference (this is such a huge one), etc.  We push things back and forth rarely as well, so future potential plays a roll for us as well to some degree.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 08:45:10 PM »
we have about $2 in ink and pretreat per shirt. We use a lot more than most to get screenprint equivalent quality. Point being, that the cost is s limiting factor in addition to the two great posts above this one.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 08:59:33 PM »
Remember, this claim by the Brother guy was made before white ink was even an option, so, I assume that costs would be lower.
In fact, the potential job that spurred this question for me right now is for a white shirt.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 03:13:37 AM »
Today I wouldn't even consider DTG, DTF is so good and so much easier.
It also has so much more potential, hats, bags, etc.     
Initially the feel is like a transfer but by adjusting the amount of ink and giving it a second hit in the press with paper or a t shirt on top you can change the feel.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 09:19:04 AM »
Scott Fresener sent me s DTG shirt many many years ago and told me this was going to be the future, we see how it turned out for him, but like the post above I can sep and screen 100 white shirts faster than fooling around doing DTG I'm sure, even with the machines they have now.  We almost bought into the DTG craze a few years back, but didn't pull the trigger on it, now far as DTF, I fell hook line and sinker for it and it's proved to be a winner for us, but still using I think the same inks as DTG with the same espon print heads for the most part with the same issue with keeping that white ink channel open.  Cost wise I really can't compare since we've never had DTG, I will say all three have a place in the print game.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!