Author Topic: Does grey ink need an underbase?  (Read 1879 times)

Offline kidink

• Verified/Junior
Does grey ink need an underbase?
« on: December 01, 2021, 05:36:45 AM »
Looking for some clarification on the above as i've never quite got to the bottom of it.

When creating separations for dark garments that need an underbase... if the design uses grey ink, lets say it has 2 spot colours that are 'cool grey 2 c' and 'cool grey 11c' (completely solid), should these areas need to be included on the UB?

Does it make a difference depending on how dark or light the grey is? would you opt for a halftone base with a % of information based on the 'lightness' channel or just keep it a solid base or excldue them completely and let the grey ink print directly on to the shirt.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Does grey ink need an underbase?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 08:11:42 AM »
quick answer. . . CG11 will not need UB, but will turn darker when you print directly. If you need to color match, try printing CG9 and see where it gets you.

Your CG2 will print lighter on the underbase so you might have to print CG3 for it to be spot on.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!