Author Topic: Help with showing a half tone in the proof  (Read 1382 times)

Offline middletownink

• Verified/Junior
  • Future so bright, got to wear shades!
Help with showing a half tone in the proof
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
I am dumbing down this artwork for a job.  I am changing all the color to print black and would like to show the proof with the half tone look.  In the second pic I show the reduction in the black color but I am wondering if there is a way to show this with the dot look of half tones.  I don't want to mislead this guy in thinking that it will look like a solid gray.  BTW I am working in CS5 AI
-You Think It! - We Print It!-

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Help with showing a half tone in the proof
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:41:50 AM »

Import the image into Photoshop and convert to grayscale. Then use the filter/action that creates the halftone effect (this is what many use to create the halftones when the RIP is not available).

I don't know the name of the filter/action used, but certainly somebody here will chime in with it. You might even be able to find it somewhere on the forum.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »
Photoshop:  Filter/Pixellate/Color Halftone.

It'll have to be a higher-resolution than the sample posted, as it comes out really coarse at the smallest available dot size.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
open in Photoshop, convert to grayscale (Image/Mode/grayscale) then to Bitmap (Image/Mode/Bitmap). In the dialog box that comes up, leave your input resolution alone, up the output resolution to 1200 (this makes better dots, even from a low res image, but you can't really enlarge the image) Under "Method" set it for Halftone screen, they set your line count and angle. I couldn't get the file to upload, so here's a link to my Photobucket page
You can see the difference the higher output resolution makes on the final image...

Steve

I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't