Author Topic: Temp controller programming (m&r)  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Temp controller programming (m&r)
« on: January 04, 2022, 10:03:37 PM »
Recently picked up a couple M&R tacana D’s for very cheap (can’t resist a deal). Both run & function fine after putting some fresh bulbs in. One unit however needs a temp controller, which is basically a PLC apparently. Some of the buttons are not working and the temp will only lower, and not raise. I have a spare controller (AFPE224300), but it’s not programmed. Reading through the manual, it looks like Panasonic has software that I can download for programming. I don’t want to program the controller from scratch…just copy the program from the working controller and install it to the unprogrammed one. Has anyone done this before or know if it’s possible? I don’t see why not… I ordered a 5 pin mini dim to usb programming cable, but thought I’d ask here to see if it’s been done.

I’m sure I could get with M&R, but service dept seems slowish these days.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
Re: Temp controller programming (m&r)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 07:37:00 AM »
Update!

This is actually a little more difficult than I originally thought but 100% doable for most geeks.

1 Obtain / install some very obscure software called FPWIN GR.
2 get mini din > usb cable.
3 rig up 24v power supply to power the controller, without this the PLC is dead. Check polarity with a meter & wire + / - to the right terminal blocks.

The software is quite simple if you can find a working copy. Was able to download the program from my existing flash controller & save a copy of the code. Then upload to my unprogrammed controller. Tested last night, runs perfectly.

What’s surprising is how much code there actually is in those tiny flash PLC’s. And it doesn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen before. It’s code + a wiring diagram, real weird. I def wouldn’t want to every try to edit any of that stuff, it’s way over my head.

There is probably some usage / IP grey area here. But reprogramming a temp controller for personal use seems pretty benign. It does open up a huge box though. Having lost a program once on our old gauntlet, I wonder if it isn’t smart to make backups of the other plcs I have around here.