Author Topic: IMS 3.0-Did Wilflex give up on accurate Pantone colour matching?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
This issue started a few months ago and today I finally HAD ENOUGH OF IT.  It`s a real battle getting a close Pantone colour match using IMS 3.0 and I have no idea why that is? I have not heard anybody else complaining about it so I assume it must be only us who are having difficulties.
Pantone 4685 Amazing base 500 g. Didn`t look anything like it, not anywhere close to it. See attached photo. Checked the scale for accuracy, no issues there. The only thing I can think of is the white pigments being far too strong and overpower the other pigments.
Are there any other possible reasons I might have overlooked?

Offline Croft

Re: IMS 3.0-Did Wilflex give up on accurate Pantone colour matching?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »
I gave it a try in RIO , it had the same tone but mixed lighter .

Offline Admiral

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
What system are you using with Wilflex? We use the Equalizer system and if we see the formula is old and not updated we email Wilflex for an updated formula which they figure out in the lab.  We use Amazing Base as well (used to use Nexgen base).

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 09:12:35 PM »
What system are you using with Wilflex? We use the Equalizer system and if we see the formula is old and not updated we email Wilflex for an updated formula which they figure out in the lab.  We use Amazing Base as well (used to use Nexgen base).
We use the PC system with Amazing base. Many years ago we had the odd colour that didn`t match. We used to email them asking for an updated formula, which took at least a day or two. These days we would have to ask almost every second day for a new formula as 40% of their formulas don`t match at all. I don`t have time to wait for them to email over new formulas, most of the time we mix colours the same day the job needs to be printed.
I`ll have a chat with them to find out what`s going on.

Offline johnmageescreenprinter

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 11:25:31 AM »
Good Morning/ Afternoon (depending on where you are located)
I work for Avient and read your post, I had a couple of questions-
Did you compare that color cured? Our pastels and beiges never look right wet but are designed to match when they are cured.
What light source did you compare it under? We are seeing a lot of people using LED or non-corrected fluorescent which shift colors green or blue due to this range of colors being very metameric.

Let me know- I'm happy to help you with this, you can contact me at john.magee@avient.com if you like.

Offline BP

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 02:50:14 PM »
I used Wilflex for years, then I try Rutland mixing system and now been with them for over 5 years now. All colors match the first time.
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 03:26:40 PM »
We are thinking of switching from Rio to Rutland. The PMS Rutland mixes we get from SPSI seem much better than Rio for opacity and running WOW

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 06:48:34 PM »
Good Morning/ Afternoon (depending on where you are located)
I work for Avient and read your post, I had a couple of questions-
Did you compare that color cured? Our pastels and beiges never look right wet but are designed to match when they are cured.
What light source did you compare it under? We are seeing a lot of people using LED or non-corrected fluorescent which shift colors green or blue due to this range of colors being very metameric.

Let me know- I'm happy to help you with this, you can contact me at john.magee@avient.com if you like.
Hi John, thanks for taking the time to look into this. I know you are trying to get to the bottom of this but, to be honest, this formula is so far off it will of course not look anything like the color shown in the Pantone book. It`s not even close. Far too white. The white is overpowering all the other pigments. We have been using LED lights for the last 8 years and until recently (1 year ago) colours that were mixed using IMS 3.0 looked just fine. Besides it`s not exclusive to just this one Pantone color we tried to match, there are greens, blues, reds that are not close any longer. I can not go and make another batch of the same colour we mixed last year and hope it will match. As a matter of fact too often it didn`t match. And like I said our scale works fine within 0.02 g. I`m pretty certain I can write another post about a different Pantone match within the next 24-48 hours. I did sent an email to askspecialtyinks@avient.com about this issue but did not get a reply.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 12:52:00 PM »
That sucks, was just thinking about looking closer @ the Wilflex PC systems.

We have been running Rutland M3 for years, but want to move towards a pigment system soon. M3 is great & they print wet on wet really well in most cases, but we'd like more control over opacity. Yellows / reds leave a lot to be desired in the M3 line opacity wise IMO