Author Topic: 8bit/16bit  (Read 3744 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
8bit/16bit
« on: February 21, 2022, 02:44:45 PM »
Ok I don't know to much about this subject so that's why I'm asking, I've always done my seps when I'm working in photoshop at 8bits/channel never thought about it until the other day I saw vid talking about 16bit/channel. Can someone enlighten me on working in 8 vs 16 or even 32 bit when doing channels foe seps, I know it has something to do with color for png/jpeg art proofing.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Raw Paw

• Verified/Junior
Re: 8bit/16bit
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »
I'm not sure what purpose 8 bit vs 16 bit serves, however you can only use the bitmap and index / dither functions on files that are set to 8 bit.  Weird
Live by the blade, Die by the blade

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 10:08:38 PM »
16 bit really benefits Photographers (camera shots) and gaming. For gaming, it improves color art/shadows mostly and in digital form, you can easily take advantage of this. This is why Adobe has been offering CAMRA RAW files and is where you will see and benefit from 16 bit files (on your computer).

A bit has 2 values or switches. On or Off, Black or white. This is where the 1 bit (black and white) tiffs come into play when converted to halftones and why printers can read and print black and white seps so well. 1 color, of a space that is either on, or off (black or white).  A single channel in grey tone (greyscale), not no longer 1 bit, but rather is 256 shades of grey in that one channel.

Convert to RGB and you get 256x256x256  to get 16.7 million colors available in 8-bit files.  Since we "print", these RGB files get converted to CMKY and within the color space used, get reduced greatly.

This is why some images look dull when converted from RGB to CMYK.  Adding trillions of color (16 bit) doesn't benefit us in print. and converting a file from 8 bit to now 16 bit, is like converting a 72ppi file to a 300ppi file. It adds data, but does not improve the quality. Junk in, junk out. To benefit from the 16 bit, you have to START with a new file at 16 bit or have your camera set to save with (camera RAW) mode. It does benefit those who are working a digital world of Photography and gaming.

at 16 bit, there are 65,536 shades in each channel of Red, Green and Blue. (65,536 x 65,536 x 65,536 = 281 trillion shades of color.

One thing is for sure. Your screen print files can get screwed if you happen to accidentally switch from 8 bit to 16 bit.  You can accidentally open and create a new file under 16 bit somehow, and never know it....until you need to save. Some file formats you normally use and love, will not be available in 16 bit. When this happens, you can open the file back up again, and go to IMAGE, MODE, and look for the BIT depth and change back to 8 bit.  You can go down in bit depth, but it does not benefit you to go up unless you start there.

I had read up on this several times over, and had known about it, but never need to keep it in mind to put to practical use, so it was a good refresher course for me too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:11:23 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 09:30:46 AM »
Thanks Dan, I had read and saw a vid on 8bit and 16bit, never really thought about doing anything with 16bit until I started doing DTF using PNG files, this is where the OG poster was going with PNG files vs Jpeg on quality, I think I was reading more into it than it was  :o
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 11:16:36 AM »
Thanks Dan, I had read and saw a vid on 8bit and 16bit, never really thought about doing anything with 16bit until I started doing DTF using PNG files, this is where the OG poster was going with PNG files vs Jpeg on quality, I think I was reading more into it than it was  :o

Probably so, and I don’t see where the 16 bit really does anything (for Digital print). The colors have to get converted to a working color space in cmyk. Someones doing overkill but it also probably doesn’t hurt it either. They just don’t know it don’t do anything. Like putting in a 1200resolution file to a 600dpi resolution film printer. All of the good quality gets kicked out. Just wasting file space.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850