Author Topic: Pantone Help  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
Pantone Help
« on: February 25, 2022, 09:22:00 AM »
I'm having trouble figuring this one out. Photoshop is telling me 4985c, but I think it's definitely off. I was thinking maybe 181c or 1817c since it will be printed on a white base. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Pantone Help
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 09:35:14 AM »
Try this tool...    https://www.ginifab.com/feeds/pms/

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 09:38:20 AM »
Thanks Steve. I gotta bookmark that page, super helpful!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2022, 10:49:55 AM »
Do you have a pantone book?  I hold mine up to the screen and visually match by eye with the pantone book. Can’t go wrong there.

There is no way all of us can pick colors base don how we see the on our own monitors. Even the color setup in each program can give a different pantone suggestion although the window of color opportunities is far more narrow when forcing colors to pantone. (I never trust those PS suggestions).
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 11:04:54 AM »
Just a note, when Pantone numbers aren't provided by clients, yet they do expect a match, I often ask for a hard copy example that they approved in the past.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 11:09:09 AM »
AS you can see. Mine says somthing different.  And then when I take a photo, my photo colors are off from my I-Phone also.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 11:13:05 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2022, 05:46:11 PM »
We started matching what we see on the the screen of an iPhone. At least you can be sure the image will look the same on your screen and the customers iPhone screen.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Let me save you some money on reprints. Matching to the I-Phone and a monitor won’t work. Sometimes, not even close.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 09:55:18 PM »
Let me save you some money on reprints. Matching to the I-Phone and a monitor won’t work. Sometimes, not even close.
Neither will matching to my monitor and then compare to the customers monitor.
If I match to our IPhone screen and then see the same image on the customers iPhone screen then there won’t be an argument.

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
I've tried multiple monitors with a different color result each time lol. I find the ipad pro display is my most color accurate display. This client is a friend of mine and his brand is getting pretty large, so I took extra time to test print multiple colors and mix small sample batches. He didn't want it too pink, but the color in his art was clearly leaning towards a pink hue. In the end he decided 1815c was the way he wanted to go since it was more of a brownish red which is more on point with his brands style. I do have a pantone book as well, but sometimes I use the photoshop picker to at least get me started on where to look. Thanks for the help though!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 10:05:07 AM »
Monitors have to be calibrated to even try to do any matching. Even then it’s transmittive vs reflective light and will not be right on.
Have the customer pick the PMS color. If they dont have a pantone book, they can come to the store and pick there.
We have on some occasions required customers to send printed samples. That works great as long as you can match successfully.
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 10:30:47 AM »
We flat out refuse to be held to checking by any type of device, as they just don't match up. If the job is that important, let them pay for a pre-production proof. For reference, I'll mention walking into a BestBuy, seeing 50 HD televisions showing the same picture, and they all look a little different; which one is right? None of them are, it's a trick question. They can even stop in and see the ink in the bucket if they like...

Steve

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2022, 08:19:26 PM »
let them pay for a pre-production proof.

What do you charge for a pre-production proof?

Does that mean a pre-production sample, and then setup later to print, or do you mean a "press check" approving a strike off and then going straight to print?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 12:22:06 PM »
We charge for the screens, art time to date, and $10.00 per color, per location. Usually we'll do it at the end of the day, and ship overnight, or have someone come in and approve it. If accepted, we can just keep printing and will rescind the $10.00 per color charge. If not, then we have to start again possibly...

Steve

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
I hate when customers proof art on phones and I tell them in our statement we prefer proofing on a larger screen, we also give them the ink colors we will print, I've found people have missed misspell words proofing on there phone or missed a name they they might have left off, colors etc.  Far as colors on monitors I can tell my wife to come look at something on my monitor and she swears it's a certain color until she sits down in front of the monitor and look, the angles standing up makes the colors look different.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!