Author Topic: ......."I missed the store deadline, can I still order"  (Read 4394 times)

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
......."I missed the store deadline, can I still order"
« on: April 01, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »
What do you guys do in this case? Let's say the store closed but you haven't ordered goods yet - but all the paperwork has been processed... add it in or turn them away?

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: ......."I missed the store deadline, can I still order"
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 09:21:54 AM »
If it ain't a big problem I'd add it, but let them know this is a one time thing
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 09:33:37 AM »
We always leave 2 - 3 days after the store is officially closed for this sort of thing. We will limit their choices when it is an after closing add on. This way we keep it easy for ourselves, keep them happy and let them know to pay closer attention to the deadlines...
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 10:14:44 AM »
For a few pieces, the options are to reopen the store so they can pay through the system and keep all of your paperwork together, or treat them as regular customer. I can't tell some kid, or his folks, that they can't have a shirt like the rest of the kids.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 04:07:05 PM »
See this is my battle, I used to to do all that. Hand write the info in, or redo the paperwork, run around the shop to update it all, notes everywhere.... Then I went to opening the store for another day or two and let them add it in but it became too much. Not once has it been appreciated, it's just expected. So I decided from now on, screw it. They knew the deadline. I have a pop up stating "no late orders" and all that jazz and they still contact me days after it closed......But my main issues is, there are zero consequences. You missed the deadline. You didn't follow the rules. The consequence is you do not get a shirt. It's like everyone getting a trophy in T-ball. How about no... You lost. it sucks, do better and earn it. If I cave in and reward them for failing to follow the rules, then they just learned my deadline means nothing... Not just with ordering a silly shirt, but in everything... I know this is a major jerk approach and not the best customer service but everyone is so used to getting everything they want, and if they don't get it, they yell a little louder.  I don't know, maybe I'm way off here in my approach... Either way, stores suuuuucccckk ;D

Offline Northland

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 01:09:45 PM »
See this is my battle, I used to to do all that. Hand write the info in, or redo the paperwork, run around the shop to update it all, notes everywhere.... Then I went to opening the store for another day or two and let them add it in but it became too much. Not once has it been appreciated, it's just expected. So I decided from now on, screw it. They knew the deadline. I have a pop up stating "no late orders" and all that jazz and they still contact me days after it closed......But my main issues is, there are zero consequences. You missed the deadline. You didn't follow the rules. The consequence is you do not get a shirt. It's like everyone getting a trophy in T-ball. How about no... You lost. it sucks, do better and earn it. If I cave in and reward them for failing to follow the rules, then they just learned my deadline means nothing... Not just with ordering a silly shirt, but in everything... I know this is a major jerk approach and not the best customer service but everyone is so used to getting everything they want, and if they don't get it, they yell a little louder.  I don't know, maybe I'm way off here in my approach... Either way, stores suuuuucccckk ;D

On a similar note..... one practice I adopted early on was to print extra shirts for every order (and give them to the customer, no charge, at time of delivery).

I've stopped printing now (retired) but prior to retirement, in ten years I never had a callback about:
"My order was short shirts"
"One shirt had a hole -or- was printed off center"
"This shirt had a stain"
"Little Johnny ordered a small but needs a medium"
"We added one name to our list"
"Little Susie wasn't at school the day we placed the order, but really wants a shirt"
My retort was always... "I've sent extra shirts, you'll have to figure out how to deal with the issue"

When I quoted the job, I'd add 3-5% on to cover the cost of the extra shirts. I may have lost some jobs due to a higher quote, but kept some customers who were able to avoid a big hassle. Often the person pacing the order is doing so out of the kindness of their heart and I know I saved their bacon more than a few times. I wanted them to come back again.
The customer would see the extra shirt as a $5-$10 value, when my cost was just the price of the garment ($2-$3)

I realize this practice doesn't seem logical to all printers.... some printers accomplish the same result by encouraging customers to order extra garments... to avoid problems.
You say Tomato, I say Tamatoe ??

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 10:06:01 AM »
yeah printing extras doesn't generally help with our stores, no matter what you make extra of, it won't be the right color, garment or size  ::)

I'll take it case by case I suppose, and if I have to "extend" the closing date, I'm jacking up the price to ridiculous amounts, like Fancloth  ;D

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »
If it ain't a big problem I'd add it, but let them know this is a one time thing

It's never a one time thing, they expect it. I don't much care it little Timmy doesn't get his whatever because someone else dropped the ball. It's called consequences. Sorry, 20 plus years and I'm running outta give a sh**. :-)
Tees and Coffee

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »
Well, you can rest easy knowing that you’re not wrong either way.  You can help them or you can choose not to.

To them, you’re wrong for not supplying another single tee. Sure, they know the rules but you are “tough”to work with to them. So be it, ...or not.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 05:27:15 PM »
I'm sure they'd be very understanding if you said, "Hey, didn't get to do my price increase in time to be reflected in your orders. Please go ahead and have each person that ordered send me another $1.85."
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 01:49:45 PM »
I'm sure they'd be very understanding if you said, "Hey, didn't get to do my price increase in time to be reflected in your orders. Please go ahead and have each person that ordered send me another $1.85."

Oh!   That’s a gooooood one!  I’m using that!  LOL.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »
I had a soccer mom super upset because I wouldn't add any more orders to a store that closed 10 days ago. She said I'm "unwilling to help customers and they'll find someone with better customer service"...Fine, PLEASE do..... I offered to run the store again if there were enough people, coach was on my side... What seems to happen is the coach sends out the link to the kids, the kids forget or never tell the parents, or if they do -they procrastinate until the last minute then blame me they didn't have time to order. Most people find the time so it must not be that important to you until it's too late. Then I'm the jerk for not accepting late orders. Happens at least once per store. I'll reopen this store but you better believe there's a price increase.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 08:05:18 AM »
I had a soccer mom super upset because I wouldn't add any more orders to a store that closed 10 days ago. She said I'm "unwilling to help customers and they'll find someone with better customer service"...Fine, PLEASE do..... I offered to run the store again if there were enough people, coach was on my side... What seems to happen is the coach sends out the link to the kids, the kids forget or never tell the parents, or if they do -they procrastinate until the last minute then blame me they didn't have time to order. Most people find the time so it must not be that important to you until it's too late. Then I'm the jerk for not accepting late orders. Happens at least once per store. I'll reopen this store but you better believe there's a price increase.

We  have gone back to help parents that missed an order, but because we always start with "you missed the order by sate" but we will still help you out, they still go and bad mouth you for even mentioning you missed the date. Some parents cannot function in life unless they find a way to bad mouth a service provider in some way every day. I don't get it, I guess it makes them feel superior or something.
"No man is an island"

Offline Logowear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 03:47:47 PM »
Everytime  I break the rules, It comes back and bites me in the a**.

I just did an OMG store for the girls' HS soccer team. It was 96 orders.
The coach contacted me on the last day with 50 additional orders (92 items) that he wanted billed to the school.
A reward to the girls for some fundraiser they did. Sent me a jumbled up excel sheet.
Long story short....zero mistakes on the OMG order and 3 mistakes on the add on order. My bad!

The best practice that I have found is to set the store closing for 9am and then just before it closes, extend it to noon or so.
This still gives me enough time to place the orders that day.
On this store, I got 15 orders between 9am and noon and nobody called to say they missed the deadline.
Specialty Stitches

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2022, 10:26:19 AM »
I normally dont do any paperwork until 3 days after.. But if they come to me 10 days later, no way, thats an obscene amount of time to miss the open store.