Author Topic: Advice for a new film printer??  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Advice for a new film printer??
« on: April 18, 2022, 11:26:26 AM »
Hey gang!

I think my 3880 may have finally crapped the bed. What are the folks here using for films? We are not ready for dts or laser yet, so that's out. Looking for something 17" wide, larger is okay but I'd get limited use out of it . Also hoping for something with refillable ink carts. We currently use Accurip for the RIP, but haven't been thrilled with that lately and would consider something different for that too if its easy and relaible.

Thanks all!!!!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Raw Paw

• Verified/Junior
Re: Advice for a new film printer??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 03:25:59 PM »
Our Epson P400 recently stopped working.  We got a Canon Pixma to hold us over until the Epson T3270 could be shipped.  Pixma can go 13x19.  Epson can hold rolls 17" and 24."  Those were on backorder and we finally got ours in a couple weeks ago after waiting a few months.  Got Filmmaker as a Rip.  Had to also purchase a PC laptop, because Filmmaker is PC only.  Accurip doesn't work on the T3270 from what I remember, and is a monthly subscription.

Buying and setting up new film printers is a pain.  They keep getting more expensive and my separation process keeps getting more complicated.  We absolutely needed the help of a tech to make sense of Filmmaker, what a clunky software
Live by the blade, Die by the blade

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2022, 09:38:56 PM »
If you can find an EPSON 4880 they are worth purchasing. Should be able to get 5 years out of one in semi decent shape. They are getting old by now and I would imagine there will be some plastic deterioration going on.
Still, great bang for the buck if you can find one.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 11:21:55 AM »
I have used filmmaker for years. I also have t3270 2 ink 3 cleaning carts. printer I love. the refillable carts not so much. buy the 700ml of all last long time over a year depending on size prints and how much solid area. I am using ink and cleaning solution from filmdirectonline.com I didn't buy there refillable probably should have.
Shane

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
I'll second the T3270, ours is about 4-1/2 years old, and has been, with one exception that was easily solved, a workhorse for us.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 03:07:01 PM »
This is very timely. I am running a VERY old oyo tech styler. It is years past support and finally starting to make me worry. I was thinking of the t3270 as a back up/replacement. Can I confirm that this is the same one you have? https://estore.lawsonsp.com/collections/screen-printing-film-printers/products/epson-surecolor-t-series-printers
Thanks.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »
This is very timely. I am running a VERY old oyo tech styler. It is years past support and finally starting to make me worry. I was thinking of the t3270 as a back up/replacement. Can I confirm that this is the same one you have? https://estore.lawsonsp.com/collections/screen-printing-film-printers/products/epson-surecolor-t-series-printers
Thanks.

Yep, that's it...

Steve

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 12:22:15 PM »
I've been using the T3270 for close to 4 years and am very happy with it. I run Epson inks, I've never been a fan of any aftermarket items. Been running Accurip since I got it (before a subscription was needed) and am happy with that also.
Tees and Coffee

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2022, 12:23:47 PM »
I use cadlink XL uses fast rip prior  same software with updates.
Shane

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 01:16:51 PM »
We’re going thru the same trouble every two or three years. Looking at CTS we know is pricey but overtime it’ll pay for itself. The truth is, your are considered a Neanderthal this days if you still using film.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 03:13:39 PM »
We’re going thru the same trouble every two or three years. Looking at CTS we know is pricey but overtime it’ll pay for itself. The truth is, your are considered a Neanderthal this days if you still using film.

So, WTF would I care if someone thinks I'm a neanderthal? I've been producing films since 1972, and they work every single time. That being said, CTS is pretty cool, if you need it.

Steve

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 04:28:00 PM »

So, WTF would I care if someone thinks I'm a neanderthal? I've been producing films since 1972, and they work every single time. That being said, CTS is pretty cool, if you need it.

Steve

right, it's also easier to throw the printer down the hallway when the time comes. Little harder and more costly with the DTS... ;D

also, I recall film getting you a better dot than most dts systems...I think Pierre went back to film because of that, but I may be mistaken though....

on a side note, I'd quit and sell shrimp out of a van if I had to go back to film...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 05:54:32 PM »
I have used filmmaker for years. I also have t3270 2 ink 3 cleaning carts. printer I love. the refillable carts not so much. buy the 700ml of all last long time over a year depending on size prints and how much solid area. I am using ink and cleaning solution from filmdirectonline.com I didn't buy there refillable probably should have.
Shane

been using Filmdirectonline for years now, ink, refillable carts and all
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 07:19:04 PM »

Steve

right, it's also easier to throw the printer down the hallway when the time comes. Little harder and more costly with the DTS... ;D

also, I recall film getting you a better dot than most dts systems...I think Pierre went back to film because of that, but I may be mistaken though....

on a side note, I'd quit and sell shrimp out of a van if I had to go back to film...

Went back to film because of CTS not working and being lazy instead of fixing it. BUT, FILM DOTS ARE SUPERIOR TO CTS!
How much, not sure that it can really be seen even with a loupe. If printing on paper, absolutely. On garments… no way!
Pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 07:27:11 PM »

Steve

Neanderthal would be the Vert Cam and Diffusion Transfer processor.  ;D Cro-Magnon is hand cut lith film and pasted on halftones. ::)
Dale Hoyal