Author Topic: Sublimation revisited  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Sublimation revisited
« on: May 13, 2022, 08:18:20 AM »
I've had a customer inquire about sublimation transfers onto some Patagonia 100% poly shirts. The last time we tried this, 7 or 8 years ago, we couldn't get rid of the dent that the edge of the paper left behind. We tried tearing the paper so it had a soft edge, but we just couldn't dial in a satisfactory print with a manual press. We do have a newer Knight air presse, so we would have some more control now. Can anyone offer some advice or techniques? Thanks in advance, I hope everyone has had a good week.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 1964GN

Re: Sublimation revisited
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 04:51:15 PM »
Cut the paper larger than the platen. 16x20 platen? 17x21 paper.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
Cut the paper larger than the platen. 16x20 platen? 17x21 paper.

So much for ganging up then, but it makes sense. Let them pay for the excess.Thanks!

Steve

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 12:45:54 PM »
Seems wasteful on paper to go that large although that isn't a huge expense.

https://dyetrans.com/products.php?webmaincat=heat_press&websubcat=production_accessories&websubcat2=foam_kit

We use foam like this that we cut a little larger than the image and taper the edges.  The heat press is only touching the garment and the foam, not pressing down all the way to the platen, so that the edge of the paper is off the foam and feathers out as to not leave platen marks or marks from the edge of the paper.

We do a lot of small left chest hits so if we were to just go larger paper than the platen we'd have to plant a forest to keep up.  We also put fiberglass or a silicon sheet over the foam so the garment can slide over it easily.

Our heat presses are barely adding pressure, and we use a tacky paper so it sort of stick to the garment once it heats up so the movement of the press coming up doesn't blur it out.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »
I'll have to watch it later, but it looks like a good idea, much better than one image per sheet, but will do whatever works.

Steve