Author Topic: Illustrator question  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Illustrator question
« on: May 14, 2022, 11:17:20 AM »
Good morning all, I have a real head scratcher here. I was sent a bunch of .eps and .ai files, and jpegs, the jpegs look fine. Here is the top of the letter R, and you can see the triangular shape on the right side of the dark gray inline. When I select that individual shape and paste it on to a new page, it looks the same. I can't click on the shape on the right where it extends beyond the boundary, but I can if I click inside the boundary. In my second image, I dragged two copies, the first one below I switched from fill to outline at the bottom of the tool pallet, and it shows the shape as it's supposed to look (according to the jpeg, and common sense) but then on the second copy, I added a red fill and the problem is back. I've been using Illy for a very long time, and simply cannot fix this. The 3 shapes are a .pdf, which oddly enough, displays correctly in the directory, but not when I open the image in Illustrator. I deleted the .pdf here because opening the file in Reader, it looks OK, but if I open or place it in Illy 2020 it has those shapes...

Steve
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:28:01 AM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Illustrator question
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 12:07:30 PM »
Can you post the original .pdf or is it proprietary?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:37:30 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 12:34:38 PM »
Yes, check it out...

Steve

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 12:41:24 PM »
This seems to be a newish error with illustrator on how it renders curves.  It's not really there, just is being rendered wrong by Illustrator.

If you print from this file it should come out correct, however if you are concerned if you split the tip of the errored part to be separate from the rest of it it seems to render it correctly then.

If you pathfinder them back together then I'm getting the same error.

Looks proper in PDF, looks proper when you assign spot colors and print separations, so I would just run with it or split it into two pieces so it renders properly.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 01:36:58 PM »
I have Illy CS3, pretty old I know, but I don't really use it.  Opened the .PDF in Corel, added a background to put everything up front looking for something stray and all the Rs looked great.  Saved out to an .ai file and opened in CS3, all the Rs still looked great.  That probably don't help much.  I'd print to film and see what outputs.

Attached is a .PDF output from Corel.  See how this looks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:06:26 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline royster13

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 01:50:51 PM »
This file was created on a pretty new version of Illustrator......Are you using a current version to open it?....Or has it gone through an older version somewhere along the line?...Or has it been saved to a PDF outside of Illustrator?...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 03:08:57 PM »
We found it! On the right side, using the direct selection tool (hollow arrow) click on the point; there are 2 "handles"; move the lower one up, to adjust it to the same curve, and the problem is gone. Holy poop!

Steve

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 09:10:19 AM »
This is something pretty common in Corel. Node issues I mean.

When ever I have something goofy going on the first thing I try is to select all nodes and reverse direction, that works often. If that fails I look for an offending node and edit it, if that fails I just start nudging nodes around to whatever the issue is goes away.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 09:50:35 AM »
I'm running 2020, I guess I'll just upgrade. We've been running Illustrator for almost 30 years, and though I don't claim to be expert, I do know my way around it pretty well. I'll just chalk it up to "I learned something new today" and move on. Thanks all for your input.

Steve

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 11:57:01 AM »
OK, I had also written to Astute Graphics, we use Vector First Aid, which didn't touch it, and I got reply this morning. In Preferences, under performance, I unchecked GPU, and the problem is gone. I think that was pretty nice of them to figure that out for me. I'm still doing the upgrade though. I thought people would want to know.

Steve