Author Topic: DTF on non-woven totes  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
DTF on non-woven totes
« on: May 20, 2022, 02:36:56 PM »
Yes, the polypropylene type. Rumor has it that we can apply DTF to these, at around 275°. I spoke with one of the manufacturers this morning, and he thought I could, as they did. Test, test, test of course. I did have a bag this morning that I gave a quick press to at 310°, and it melted very nicely. So who here has done them, and what advice might you have. It's for a rush of course...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: DTF on non-woven totes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 03:54:00 PM »
Use a shirt over the print to reduce some of the heat and lighten up your pressure a little
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 04:54:40 PM »
I just had successful test at 270°, with a leftover transfer. I think we have a winner...

Steve

Offline TheGhost

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2022, 06:03:41 PM »
280 worked fine for us

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 02:45:39 AM »
I just had successful test at 270°, with a leftover transfer. I think we have a winner...

Steve
May I ask why you cannot go below 270F?
Are you limited by the powder or what is causing those high temp. settings?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 07:48:19 AM »
The manufacturer told me I could go as low as 265° F. My press temp moves around plus/minus 5°, so I was at 270° when I tested. So it was at the 12 second press, with a cover sheet. It's on my desk, so I just dug at it with my fingernails, and it passes my test.

Steve

Offline DonR

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 06:30:02 PM »
Happy to hear it worked!  We just did a bunch of neoprene can coolers. The trick on these was to give them a hard initial press before putting on the transfer. They came out great and our customer loved the full color print.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 01:44:11 AM »
The manufacturer told me I could go as low as 265° F. My press temp moves around plus/minus 5°, so I was at 270° when I tested. So it was at the 12 second press, with a cover sheet. It's on my desk, so I just dug at it with my fingernails, and it passes my test.

Steve
I see, but why only 265F. Due to the powder or the ink won`t be cured otherwise.
Our powder cures between 230-248F. We had no problems with test washing the pressed up garments.
Printed on our GTX Pro.

Offline DonR

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2022, 07:00:15 AM »
We suggest not going below 265 because the lower you go the more time you should press for. At 265 the transfers will adhere well to most difficult items without any damage to the item. This temp leaves a margin of error for the heat press and pressing procedure. As always, it is always a good idea to test before going into a production run.