Author Topic: Minimum order per color?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline farmboygraphics

Minimum order per color?
« on: May 25, 2022, 10:17:14 AM »
Do many or any of you have a minimum order per print color? Say something like 1-2 colors 24pc, 3 colors 36 pcs and so on.
My prices are up there for small orders with higher color counts, but setup is just a pain in the a for small orders. Curious.
Tees and Coffee

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Re: Minimum order per color?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 11:10:53 AM »
I used to do that. Now I just charge enough that I don't care if they order... I have been going to DTF in most cases.,
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 11:46:08 AM »
The rule of thumb to even consider actual screen printing I have always tried to give my clients was a minimum of 12 pieces per screen.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline rusty

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 11:50:33 AM »
we pivot to DTF/DTG or reg tansfer for anything under 24 then we only offer 3 color prints after 36 we go up to 6

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 02:02:25 PM »
We also are doing a lot of DTF for those small jobs, and charge accordingly. $18 and up for a single side on a t. The beauty of these things is that we haven't had a single complaint since we started doing them. Everyone has been happy. That's not what I expected, buy I'm getting wise to the fact that what I expect is no longer the norm...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »
We also are doing a lot of DTF for those small jobs, and charge accordingly. $18 and up for a single side on a t. The beauty of these things is that we haven't had a single complaint since we started doing them. Everyone has been happy. That's not what I expected, buy I'm getting wise to the fact that what I expect is no longer the norm...

Steve

did you buy a dtf system or subbing out? We picked up a Mutoh /STS printer a few months back. We use it daily.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 08:38:59 AM »
I tell people 12 shirts per color, but if we're slow I'll make exceptions. That being said, we're not slow so I try to avoid those orders like the plague. Especially now that volume orders seem to be back and better than ever. I've never had so many back to back 500-1,000+ piece orders. Meanwhile I spent a day doing 60 shirts split between 5 designs, each design 2 colors and most needing a pantone match. Profit was fine, but I really need to add DTG or DTF to handle these types of orders. Seemed like such a waste of a day.

Online 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 10:50:34 AM »
Our printer is slow, but it fits our needs and we use it just about everyday, and getting top dollar, and I think the big reason is we are able to do stuff the same day for pickup, doing a job right now to be picked up by 12.  I really have to thank Homer for turning me on to DTF, he sent me all the info to get setup, I know the big shops could careless about smaller orders but I think small to mid style shops, it's money you now don't have to let walk out the door for small high color order's.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 11:24:31 AM »

Steve

did you buy a dtf system or subbing out? We picked up a Mutoh /STS printer a few months back. We use it daily.

We're still subbing, as my partner is not too hot on the idea of buying anymore equipment. As we're pretty shorthanded, and I'd be the guy working it out, I'm good with placing orders. Still, I love new toys...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Online Crazy Mike

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2022, 11:34:40 AM »

Steve
[/quote]

[/quote]

Homer, how do you like your Mutoh STS and do you have any pros and cons on how it works.

crazymile

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2022, 12:22:10 PM »

Steve

Homer, how do you like your Mutoh STS and do you have any pros and cons on how it works.

crazymile

It was an excellent purchase. We used the L1800 as a "proof of concept" that we needed DTF in house and this printer is light years ahead of the L1800. We did have a hiccup about a month back but STS came through and fixed us up. So Far, STS is similar to the old M&R customer service.
PROS :
Speed - it's a Mutoh, so it's geared for production
Flexi RIP program -  colors are very vibrant. Nesting prints to maximize film, it's a really great RIP.

CONS:
I wish it would recycle the white and self circulate / agitate but it doesn't. You have to remove the white carts and shake them before printing in the morning. Kinda lame. I made an "auto shaker" for our last printers that would agitate the inks every few hours. Can't do it with this printer.

"Crinkly Prints" - as with all DTF transfers, they're crunchy. We don't print shirts with it so it's not a concern for me but I sure wouldn't want to go this route with shirts in mind. They feel plastic. We do oddball stuff, I'm actually cutting leather on the laser now that we will decorate with transfers. Works out well.

...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Online Crazy Mike

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 02:13:43 PM »

Steve

crazymile

It was an excellent purchase. We used the L1800 as a "proof of concept" that we needed DTF in house and this printer is light years ahead of the L1800. We did have a hiccup about a month back but STS came through and fixed us up. So Far, STS is similar to the old M&R customer service.
PROS :
Speed - it's a Mutoh, so it's geared for production
Flexi RIP program -  colors are very vibrant. Nesting prints to maximize film, it's a really great RIP.

CONS:
I wish it would recycle the white and self circulate / agitate but it doesn't. You have to remove the white carts and shake them before printing in the morning. Kinda lame. I made an "auto shaker" for our last printers that would agitate the inks every few hours. Can't do it with this printer.

"Crinkly Prints" - as with all DTF transfers, they're crunchy. We don't print shirts with it so it's not a concern for me but I sure wouldn't want to go this route with shirts in mind. They feel plastic. We do oddball stuff, I'm actually cutting leather on the laser now that we will decorate with transfers. Works out well.

Thank you for the info.  Mike