Author Topic: Is Accurip Emerald a nightmare for anyone else?  (Read 2760 times)

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
Is Accurip Emerald a nightmare for anyone else?
« on: June 06, 2022, 12:31:39 PM »
Hey All,

We were using Accurip Ruby (and every version before that) with little trouble for years and years. Last week, Ruby decided to stop working so I reached out to Freehand for support. They told me that I needed to upgrade to Emerald. I had previously not upgraded because they told me that our film printer, and Epson Surecolor T3270 was not supported. It is still not listed as supported on their site, but they told me that they would help me get it set up.

I allowed their support team remote access to my computer, via TeamViewer. They got me set up and it's usable, but I'm not loving it at all.

For one, I'm not able to print any films that are taller than 48". Previously when using Ruby, I would print huge gang sheets with several multi color designs on one sheet no problem. Also, the way Emerald works adds more click to my workflow. In Ruby, I would hit command P, and then select the custom media size, and the films would print. Now, I have to do those two steps, and then wait for it to get into Emerald, then click print again, and select a custom media size slightly larger than the actual print size.

If I try to be efficient with my film use and have the start of the positive image right at the end of the film, like I was able to do in Ruby, it will get cut off. I now need to leave an extra inch or so on my artboard, and also choose a custom print size larger than that to not end up with something cut off.

This brings my to my final complaint, the wait for the data to get into Emerald. When printing a larger film (again limited to 24x48"), the time between clicking print and the data landing in Emerald is several minutes. This throws my flow off even more. The solution that Freehand proposed is for me is to upgrade from a USB cable to an Ethernet Over USB setup. Doing this will require me to track down, buy and troubleshoot more hardware.

It all just feels like a downgrade from Ruby, and I'm not even sure why these changes were made. /Rantover

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone have an alternative RIP that they prefer? I print from Illustrator, either vector art or by placing raster images in a document.

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!   :) :)

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
Re: Is Accurip Emerald a nightmare for anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 01:03:41 PM »
Oh one more thing, the prints sometimes come out upside down and cut off. According to Freehand, this is due to a postscript error. Last week I was able to create new file to print from and that solved the problem. Now this week it's happening again!

Here's an image showing how the film came out of the printer compared to my art board. The print preview showed the image in the correct orientation, and I do not have auto rotate checked or anything like that.

Offline aauusa

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 04:26:15 PM »
I ditched accurip about 2 years ago because mine quit working and then needed to upgrade.  so instead of going back to accurip I went with filmaker v10xl.    I absolutly love it, much easier to use has the multi black fuction,  works with so many more printers than accurip.

https://www.cadlink.com/product/filmmaker10/

Offline discounttshirts

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 09:52:38 AM »
I always felt that accurip was holding us hostage - and when it went to having to buy ink from them also and do the upgrades , I cut the cord- We now use PrintFab XL - one time purchase - works just as good -we still us an epson 1430 and have for 5 years +

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 01:07:08 PM »
I ditched accurip about 2 years ago because mine quit working and then needed to upgrade.  so instead of going back to accurip I went with filmaker v10xl.    I absolutly love it, much easier to use has the multi black fuction,  works with so many more printers than accurip.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into this option and use their free trial.

Offline discounttshirts

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 09:56:22 AM »
I WAS GOING TO GO CADLINK , BUT IF IT IS ANYWHERE AS QUICKY AS OUR CADLINK DIGITAL FACTORY ,  THEN I DONT NEED THAT FROM MY FILMS- PRINTFAB HAS A FREE TRIAL TOO- SO YOU MIGHT CHECK IT OUT. - IT IS SIMPLE AND STRAIGHFORWARD WITH A PREVIEW SCREEN , ALL THE OPTIONS ARE THERE IS YOU DRILL DOWN INTO THE SETTINGS AND IT HAS THE ABILITY TO USE MY ALLO BLACK SETTINGS SIMILAR TO ACCURIP BLACK PEARL

https://www.printfab.com/en/

Offline Raw Paw

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 03:50:44 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into this option and use their free trial.

We use Filmmaker with our T-3270, had to get the help of a technician to figure out the software.  Once you get it set up you don't have to mess with it, and it is a one time purchase.  Wish I had someone to train me on artwork / rip, I've been separating for almost 15 years now but it's all self taught.
Live by the blade, Die by the blade

Offline Croft

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 04:01:36 PM »
still running black pearl with no issues

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 05:48:56 PM »
I unloaded Printfab today, so far it has some settings I would like to change, I might can but have not dug real deep into it just yet, it does seem to be pretty simple to use, I'll know more the deeper I dig into the settings.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline FSGPrints

• Verified/Junior
  • Ready to print
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 12:07:27 PM »
UPDATE:

I pestered them enough to release a version that "supports" our T3270. It is a big improvement and is acceptable for me. It is still one more click than Ruby, which feels like a step backwards, but at this point I'm done screwing with it and would like to focus on doing my job.

I may look into one of these other pieces of software, and I greatly appreciate the suggestions and your input!

RAW PAW same here! I'm sure some of my techniques for creating separations are not 100% current and could be improved upon. However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess haha.