Author Topic: Waterbase with discharge underbase  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Waterbase with discharge underbase
« on: June 26, 2022, 03:56:09 AM »
I know from experience that printing plastisol on top of a 100% discharge white base is a bad idea but how about traditional waterbase ink for light garments? Would we face similar issues as we would see with printing plastisol on 100% discharge white? Would it still be better to make a 20/80 or 30/70 mix for the discharge base? I think we tried printing onto a 30/70 base before with waterbased inks for white garments but of course, with the base being pretty much off-white the waterbased itself will shift too, there goes your pantone accuracy. I there anything I`m missing or how do we get a soft hand waterbase print on dark garments not using only discharge inks but still be able to get close pantone color matches.

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
Re: Waterbase with discharge underbase
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 07:17:28 PM »
you'll always want to mix your Discharge base so it's not straight white. waterbased/plastisol, doesn't really matter. it's the same rules.

you'll just want to make sure your base doesn't have to much of the white, as it doesn't allow for your top colors to stick.

We do Dcub and HSA all the time over here.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Biverson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 09:25:32 AM »
I know from experience that printing plastisol on top of a 100% discharge white base is a bad idea but how about traditional waterbase ink for light garments? Would we face similar issues as we would see with printing plastisol on 100% discharge white? Would it still be better to make a 20/80 or 30/70 mix for the discharge base? I think we tried printing onto a 30/70 base before with waterbased inks for white garments but of course, with the base being pretty much off-white the waterbased itself will shift too, there goes your pantone accuracy. I there anything I`m missing or how do we get a soft hand waterbase print on dark garments not using only discharge inks but still be able to get close pantone color matches.

We did a job last year with a straight white DCub and HSA on top. It looked awesome....but failed. I asked Aquarius about it before hand and they said it should be possible as long as all the water evaporates out of the white. I see the shirts out in the community every once in awhile and shiver. The orange over top is mostly gone or very faded. Mistake on my part. Constant reminder to test, test, test. I'm now hesitant to do any DCub and plastisol or WB on top. I should have just run both colors are straight DC without a UB on this job.
Brett - Pioneer Print Co.
www.idoshirts.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 01:34:17 PM »
What about using a plasticharge base, since plasticharge is more of a plastisol ink converted into DC?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Admiral

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 04:48:59 PM »
We have done only a few where we did discharge UB which was 20% white / 80% base then Plastisol on top.  Normally though we just activate the separate water based colors (and aim for the right % activator per the color / shirt combo) and have no base.  Reds for instance I think we usually do about 4% ZFS.  6.3% for a white, 2-3% for a darkish color, etc.