Author Topic: Mark showing after press  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Mark showing after press
« on: July 28, 2022, 05:28:24 AM »
Is there any way to reduce or stop the marks you get on garments using a hear press.
Usually the edge of the platen shows.
I think it'll go away after washing but I'd like to deliver without marks.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline BP

Re: Mark showing after press
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 07:14:51 AM »
Mist some water on them when hot. 
SHIRT HAPPENS!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 10:23:47 AM »
Agreed.  Most things I’ve heard of on this subject have to do with adding moisture and evaporating that moisture right after.  It’s just smashed fibers causing the discolor.
Like you said, will go away after the wash, but people to see it and ask questions.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 11:17:53 AM »
If at all possible reduce your pressing pressure also
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 01:30:59 PM »
We struggle with a lot of the polyester shirts. We thought DTF was going to be a game changer for polos. Cleaner logos, no puckering etc. But we cannot find a good enough poly polo that does not leave heat press marks. We tried washing, raft paper and even bought an expensive steam clean set up. Nothing works for the poly.
"No man is an island"

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 02:22:52 PM »
The key on poly shirts is to reduce the pressure, there is no other options.
Given the heat @300 degrees and anything like medium pressure you are going to semi melt the poly fibers and flatten the thread profile. That is where the shine  and silvery look comes from.
Try putting a pillow under the shirt we use a stack of sweatshirt material about 3/8 to 1/2 in thick and press at barely zero pressure.
The temperature at 300 is sufficient to soften the fibers and when over squeezed will flatten the fibers to some degree. That is where the visible shine comes from degrading the shape of the threads that are 100% PLASTIC.
TEST TEST TEST but this is what we have found you need to press as lightly as possible and the pillow helps distribute the what pressure there is evenly over the image.
mooseman 
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 02:29:26 PM »
The key on poly shirts is to reduce the pressure, there is no other options.
Given the heat @300 degrees and anything like medium pressure you are going to semi melt the poly fibers and flatten the thread profile. That is where the shine  and silvery look comes from.
Try putting a pillow under the shirt we use a stack of sweatshirt material about 3/8 to 1/2 in thick and press at barely zero pressure.
The temperature at 300 is sufficient to soften the fibers and when over squeezed will flatten the fibers to some degree. That is where the visible shine comes from degrading the shape of the threads that are 100% PLASTIC.
TEST TEST TEST but this is what we have found you need to press as lightly as possible and the pillow helps distribute the what pressure there is evenly over the image.
mooseman

We bought a few different cover sheets from Stahls that they recommended none worked. We have tried lowering pressure as far as possible and lowering heat but we get to a point I really do not trust the adhesion, not enough to confidentially send out a thousand dollars worth of polos. I may approach it again because I really love the look of a nie DTF on a polo versus embroidery.
"No man is an island"

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »
in our experience there is no need to lower the heat just the pressure.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline T Shirt Farmer

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 07:11:11 PM »
Thick sponge pad on press. Light pressure quick press on front to place transfer, turn inside out light pressure extend time from back.
Robert
allpremiums.com
Your Source for Decorated Apparel.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 07:54:28 PM »
I have draped a soft towel over the platen and reduced this mark somewhat. For me, even worse than poly, are the rayon, modal, or triblends.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2022, 03:22:29 PM »
We are doing mainly DTF and with too low a pressure I'm afraid they will wash off.
We lower the temp for poly.
Rubbing cotton shirts with a damp cloth helps.
From the feedback I see there is no magic solution.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »
When I was doing wicking tees I used a Nomex pad. It's main use is for dye subbing hard goods. There's no hard edges and you can get them in a few sizes. Not cheap, but neither was tossing shirts.
It also doesn't compress over time like foam does.
https://dyetrans.com/details.php?item_no=NOM-121214 - Dyetrans.com
Tees and Coffee