Author Topic: Cutting Strip replacement on vinyl cutters (HTV or Cold)  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Cutting Strip replacement on vinyl cutters (HTV or Cold)
« on: August 08, 2022, 03:01:01 PM »
Do you guys change these out at regular intervals as part of maintenance? If so, how often?
What are the symptoms of one needing to be replaced?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline aauusa

Re: Cutting Strip replacement on vinyl cutters (HTV or Cold)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 03:17:18 PM »
I wil change our when it starts to have inconsistence in cutting or I can feel the groove on the strip.   

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 04:04:11 PM »
Once in a while I'll inspect it; if it has a groove, it's time. Dirt cheap and fast and easy at least.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 08:07:40 AM »
When it starts to show signs of wear I peel it up and turn it and stick it back down. That doubles the life. Then replace when needed. They are fairly cheap
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 10:25:29 AM »
Good info didn't even know you could do that, we've only had our cutter now for a little over a year, but still will check that strip as we've done a buttload of cutting during sports season.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 03:12:07 PM »
If you don't run into any jams, and only use enough pressure to cut through the top layer, it should last a very long time, our first one took about 5 years and only because I left the room for a minute and had jam, and the machine just kept on cutting.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 03:22:49 PM »
If you don't run into any jams, and only use enough pressure to cut through the top layer, it should last a very long time, our first one took about 5 years and only because I left the room for a minute and had jam, and the machine just kept on cutting.

Steve

Pressure and correct blade length sticking out for the material used. Otherwise, except for the misfeed mishaps that may expose the strip to the blade, they should last a long time. I'm close to ten years, but do see a "cut line" that is also noticeable to my thumb nail. I have ordered a replacement (2 for $34 ebay) but may also try the peel/turn/re-stick method if the adhesive cooperates.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2022, 12:31:31 PM »
Frog
If you can catch a fingernail in the strip it should be replaced.
Couple of experience comments.....you may find when you peel the strip up it will strectch, deform or otherwise get messed up. Possible waste of time and effort.
When you replace with new best to tape down a straight edge on your machine deck that placed proper to rest the egde of the new strip against and register as you stick the new strip down.
lastly the test to see if your current strip is not up to parr.
Pick a delicate desigh cut it over the scratched / damaged area of the strip and then recut it off to an area where the strip is in better shape. Compare the results.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.