Author Topic: wet spots on DTF transfers  (Read 2080 times)

Offline rusty

wet spots on DTF transfers
« on: August 17, 2022, 01:21:32 PM »
We got some DTF transfers from transfer express and are dealing with random wet spots. Any one else deal with this? We are just starting to offer these and have had a great response so far.  Never had this before.

Thanks

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: wet spots on DTF transfers
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 01:29:59 PM »
We get that too when they sit too long / high humidity. They sweat, it's the weirdest damn thing. It's almost sticky. We put them between sheets of paper and it stops the sweat.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 02:00:34 PM »
ah, that makes sense. Its been super hot around here so I get it.

any tricks after you've pressed them to get rid of it? We have been wiping them and you can still se a stain but nothing any normal person would notice.

Thanks for letting me know.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »
we always press twice, second pressing is shorter, maybe 5-6 seconds. That typically helps. Something really strange, we have the Mutoh DTF printer, I let something print overnight and if the humidity is just right/wrong they run, the inks will all bleed out and run down the film....Only happens with weather changes. Super odd.

and it's super humid today the F^&King print wont print white...don't buy a DTF printer. just don't
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 03:19:22 PM »
Our printer has been acting crazy, white printing dry after a few runs and then I have to manually clean the white print heads, and i know it's because of the heat even though we keep it cool in the printer area.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 04:15:13 PM »
We occasionally get some DTFs that leave shiny spots all over the transfer after the first press, it does look like wet spots. To fix it we press a second time using a tshirt or polo as a cover sheet, that always clears it up.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 05:29:34 PM »
Yes, second presses help a lot. We have an old matte finished silicon sheet that we cover with, they almost look like prints...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline rusty

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 05:36:01 PM »
Yeah, w have some thick brown kraft paper we use to heat press printed shirts that may have been a little rough. It keeps the prints matte and not shiny.

we will try hat tomorrow. Also heard about pique polo trick.

I really like these transfers and how i can ofer full color/low quantities but will not be getting a printer any time soon.Thank you all for being the pioneers..

Offline DonR

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 07:03:48 PM »
If the spots look oily, the problem is that the transfers were not cured enough when they were made. If the spots do not look oily, it is moisture. You can try to dry out a transfer that has been sitting around by putting it under the heat press with the adhesive side facing up.

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 03:23:49 PM »
I agree with Don, glycol seeps out when DTF is undercured.      DTF is great but there’s a lot to learn.     I have a Mutoh in a room with humidity and temp controlled 24/7 and have no problems.    Took me a while to get the curing tuned in.    Mutoh has great colors and my wash tests are great.
You have to spend time dialing it all in.    Everything effects the results, humidity, temp, time in dryer, temp of dryer, humidity of glue powder and film, press time and pressure (very important), second press, how you press.     I find that using bakers paper I get a softer Matt feel.
I think there’s a lot of money to be made in DTF and it’s worth learning.    Be careful there’s a lot of bad systems on the market.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il