Author Topic: Excessive heat or chemical issue? Discolored shirts.  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Excessive heat or chemical issue? Discolored shirts.
« on: August 17, 2022, 05:17:26 PM »
Excessive heat or chemical issue? Discolored shirts.

My contract customer got a call yesterday from her customer and they are returning about 55 shirts out of 150.  It seems like some of the shirt were discolored from what looks like could be excessive heat, only on the exposed side of the shirt facing up in the dryer as the ink gets cured.

Nothing wrong with the ink or print.
The temperature was actually a little too low (today). But was set at the same temp we have been running at for a few months now. The ink temp on shirt (using a donut probe), reads at 318 and belt speed was set at 45. (This tells me that it couldn’t have been excessive heat) that caused this.
I had to raise the temp a little to get it back up to 320 for 5 seconds.

The thing is, (55 of these Port 50/50) does have a discoloration on them, but not all of them. ??  The discolorations is exactly where you might see it if it were scorched. This is not a scotch but more of a discoloration. Like a shadow. On the tops only, and on where it was folded under, is not discolored. You cans ee where the sleeve was folded under a little. So it indicates excessive heat, but it wasn’t.  Like as if the heat on top, just changed the color of the thread a shade on only a 3rd of the order). All various sizes.

We got all of the bad ones back, and are of course re-printing for free and our contract customer is re-ordering at her expense but we will also knock off that garment cost on her next order.  But I really think this is a Mill issue. Of course, I can’t prove that.

Now, none of our other orders has had any issues like this at all.  Strange. I lean towards something different was done chemically at the mill where they would not have normally done this for the this garment that made it a little more heat sensitive.

Thoughts?

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline prozyan

Re: Excessive heat or chemical issue? Discolored shirts.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 05:28:59 PM »
Looks like a heat issue to me.  Run them through laying flat and see if it evens out.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 06:02:47 PM »
Good call.  We will do that tomorrow.  Also going to wash one of them tonight to see if this washes out.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 07:14:03 PM »
If it is indeed (probably) a heat issue, then washing/redrying may not fix but worth a try. If the poly content has hit a certain heat point, scorchout products (hydrogen peroxide) spray will also most likely not be a fix. Also info: electric or gas vortex? Check to see if sizes are from different C of Os and if there is a pattern there. Last thought, could be, and might likely be a less than optimum placement
of garments on the dryer belt. If it is haphazard, then those waves can appear on heat sensitive garments. Armchair QB but there are some variables to explore. best tp

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 03:12:26 PM »
If it is indeed (probably) a heat issue, then washing/redrying may not fix but worth a try. If the poly content has hit a certain heat point, scorchout products (hydrogen peroxide) spray will also most likely not be a fix. Also info: electric or gas vortex? Check to see if sizes are from different C of Os and if there is a pattern there. Last thought, could be, and might likely be a less than optimum placement
of garments on the dryer belt. If it is haphazard, then those waves can appear on heat sensitive garments. Armchair QB but there are some variables to explore. best tp

Thanks for all of that!

The simple resolve was to lay them out flat, and re run them through the dryer. This turned the color (consistent) across the shirt.   Looks good. Send them back out.
It just happens to be that these shirts (this particular type Port and being 50/50) apparently darkens a little. Not scorched, Jsut darkened. Like a shadow. Now, it’s all darkened evenly.

I can’t say that the end suer will have anything to say negative, but she might. She might reach a little and say that one side is lighter than the other.  But she would be really reaching hard to find something wrong...and I would not re-do them at this point.

Thanks for all of the feedback.  This one had me scratching my head for a second.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 05:25:21 PM »
"end suer" made me smile! ;)