Author Topic: Worst fabrics for showing press marks?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Worst fabrics for showing press marks?
« on: September 13, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
My vote is Rayon, and its variant Modal.
So much so, that I warn clients insisting on these fabrics beforehand.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Worst fabrics for showing press marks?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 11:17:56 AM »
Same question, I just press a 100% poly shirt with dye sub inks for my wife and the press mark looks real bad, didn't someone have an answer for this? I know it has something to do with crushing the fabric, we are still pretty green when it comes to sublimation.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 02:54:20 PM »
Use one of those pillow cushions they sell for this.  Give sit some room to get compressed but not leave the pressure marks.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline aauusa

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 03:02:39 PM »
Same question, I just press a 100% poly shirt with dye sub inks for my wife and the press mark looks real bad, didn't someone have an answer for this? I know it has something to do with crushing the fabric, we are still pretty green when it comes to sublimation.

just so you know sublimation is not really about pressure but time and heat.   when we press shirts with a sublimation print we use 22lbs(very light)  and 386 degrees at 35 secs.   your time and temp may vary but your paper should just be a very small tint of brown to much and to much time still white and not all the ink has dyed; when you peel it off

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 04:28:30 PM »
Use one of those pillow cushions they sell for this.  Give sit some room to get compressed but not leave the pressure marks.

I have 5 or 6 of those in assorted sizes, but they don't seem to really help me with the heat platen marks, especially on Rayon. Use them mostly to even out and reduce the increased pressure and resulting effect of raised seams and such.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2022, 03:23:32 PM »

just so you know sublimation is not really about pressure but time and heat.   when we press shirts with a sublimation print we use 22lbs(very light)  and 386 degrees at 35 secs.   your time and temp may vary but your paper should just be a very small tint of brown to much and to much time still white and not all the ink has dyed; when you peel it off

Thanks, we still have the old style heat press's, getting a digital press most likely would help on pressure to get it dial in right.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 09:04:16 AM »
I had a recommendation of using a scrap of pique golf shirt material, 100% poly as an overlay. Using one of the Perfect Print Pads (yeah right) load the shirt over the pad, put the piece of material on it after that, pre-press for 6 seconds (at least that is working for me) then lay the transfer down, and cover that with the piece of material, and press for the recommended time. Much, much better results than I was getting before. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but worth sharing...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 10:31:59 AM »
I had a recommendation of using a scrap of pique golf shirt material, 100% poly as an overlay. Using one of the Perfect Print Pads (yeah right) load the shirt over the pad, put the piece of material on it after that, pre-press for 6 seconds (at least that is working for me) then lay the transfer down, and cover that with the piece of material, and press for the recommended time. Much, much better results than I was getting before. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but worth sharing...

Steve

I re-press vinyl and especially DTF with a pique piece draped over, and besides adding a pleasing texture to the print, it does reduce the press marks a bit.  However, RAYON IS STILL THE WORST!