Author Topic: vinyl names  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
vinyl names
« on: September 20, 2022, 09:57:36 AM »
We are changing our offerings in some stores to use vinyl names for right fronts and left sleeves, so we can keep better control of it. We checked with the customers first of course, and they are fine with it. A question came up as to use the same point size for all names, as "Joe" would be rather short and "Mr. Dunnigan" would be on the long side. My thought is that they should all be the same point size, for consistency, but others here think it may be better to use different sizes depending on the name itself. So, I thought I'd poll the folks here who have done similar work for their thoughts. So, your thoughts?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: vinyl names
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 10:47:58 AM »
Same font pt. size for sure. However, especially on backs, if there is any issue with fitting easily, I often adjust with kerning and condensing. Never have with pocket type names.
My ongoing problem with names on the backs of little League shirts is that "LEE" is on the large, while "HUSAKOWSKI" goes on the small!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 11:23:21 AM »
We always use same point size, both for vinyl and embroidery. Then we customize the names individually, stretch or squeeze, even increase the letter spacing a little on short names.
"No man is an island"

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »
same size in height, however the length can be adjusted / condensed if needed. Adjust kerning if you really need to. We run into that when kids choose to be cool and use names like "Awesome McKickass".... doesn't fit on a sleeve too well.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 03:42:15 PM »
same size in height, however the length can be adjusted / condensed if needed. Adjust kerning if you really need to. We run into that when kids choose to be cool and use names like "Awesome McKickass".... doesn't fit on a sleeve too well.

Our schools won't let the kids do that, that's a pretty funny one though...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 02:47:18 PM »
Same here.  All the same point size.  And I do adjust the spacing and even may scale horizontally by 10-20%. Not much to be noticeable as a stretch.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850