Author Topic: Mini Sprint Burner issue  (Read 2609 times)

Offline chubsetc

Mini Sprint Burner issue
« on: September 21, 2022, 02:53:05 PM »
Our 10-year-old Mini Sprint has been losing its flame periodically for quite a while and we took it out to see if it needed cleaning.  We found cracks in what I would call the "air diffuser".  It seems that the cracks are causing too much airflow back into the burner and blowing it out when the flame is idling when not in a heating cycle.  Question...I can't find the "diffuser for sale on its own" and would hate to buy a new burner ($$$$) when the part looks easily replaceable.  Let me know if anyone has experience with this or any helpful info.  Thanks!

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Mini Sprint Burner issue
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 03:06:58 PM »
That's a pretty involved part to make and I would bet it alone is %80 of the cost of the burner.

I would tempted to weld it to make sure it's the issue. (it's only temporary unless it works)
Might be some exotic steels though and might not weld well and might crack again.
But, it may not even be the issue.

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 05:38:43 PM »
I have been wrong before but watching what happens through the little window into the burner section we can watch the middle of the burner get "blown out" and lose the flame in the center where the cracks are.  Then the rest of the flame goes out. The cracked piece looks like it can be removed on its own and a new one replace it if they come separately.  In the end if we need to buy the whole burner it will be peace of mind but hoping we can avoid that if possible.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:19:58 PM by chubsetc »

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 03:48:08 AM »
Update...
Finally found the part name, it was the "burner plate".  Purchased 2 new ones for $182 total with shipping and "refurbed" the burner.  Airflow back to normal, dryer working as it's intended to.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2022, 11:45:12 AM »
Excellent, always feels good nailing a repair.

Mind sharing the mfgr/source for part should any of the rest of us need to do the same?

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2022, 11:56:45 AM »
While you were there, did you put a new sparker and flame rod in??
Quality over Quantity

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 04:58:42 PM »
Part Number: Maxon 42430 Burner Plate

It was a fairly easy repair and I was very surprised that the nuts and bolts were not more seized up after 10 years of heat on them.

We had just recently changed out the spark plug and flame rod trying to eliminate what was going wrong before pulling the burner out and seeing the cracks.  Dryer got a couple new parts while we were working through the issue but nothing too expensive and now we have a few replacement parts to put on the shelf just in case we need them at a later date.

Offline Scobey Peterman

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2022, 07:00:04 AM »
Good job.
Quality over Quantity