Author Topic: How can I add 3 images onto 1 transparency?  (Read 2527 times)

Offline ITZDesign

• I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
How can I add 3 images onto 1 transparency?
« on: October 26, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
I have separated my image using Ultraseps and now am wanting to print the 3 colour sep on 1 transparency(with reg marks).  Any suggestions? Normally I would send them to illustrator and print but am hoping to bypass a few steps.  Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: How can I add 3 images onto 1 transparency?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2022, 04:15:04 PM »
I think that the only efficient way (now), after the seps have been done, is to put them into a vector file the way you have been.

To do it in Photoshop (at the beginning of the separation stage) and then through your auto sep program, you would have to have your page size set up (smaller than) your film output so that you can drop one image down in place... but all at the same resolutions.  Each file you want to combine, would need to be the same resolution (and not resized) so that it’s not re-sampled based on various resolutions.

I def would do it this way if having 2-3 files that fit on one film page such as a 13x19” film.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2022, 11:18:05 AM »
It may just be me, but I'm not clear on the desired outcome here.  Is it for a 3 color image that is on the smaller size and wanting to save on film?  8 1/2x11 is considerably more cost effective than 13x19.  I keep 3 film sizes and let the artwork dictate.  Then again, I may continue to be foggy on this one. 
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline AntonySharples

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 12:49:46 PM »
You can print each channel separate and on your print preview just move it to another location on the film.  It's easy.  I do it all the time.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2022, 02:12:42 PM »
You can print each channel separate and on your print preview just move it to another location on the film.  It's easy.  I do it all the time.

Ha!  Nice.   I love the little work arounds we do in our business.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2022, 04:11:43 PM »
And, of course, make sure all are oriented the same direction.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2022, 08:21:16 PM »
Why is that if all have registration marks?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2022, 09:05:21 PM »

Printers that feed film in and out may have a slight error in the feed direction, so you would want that "error" consistent from plate to plate.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2022, 09:07:19 PM »

Printers that feed film in and out may have a slight error in the feed direction, so you would want that "error" consistent from plate to plate.
lol, I'm out.  I thought he wanted to put 3 with regs on 1 film

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 09:30:50 AM »
Is it a left front print? There are a few options if you don't have a RIP; we use AccuRIP, outputting through Illustrator, and it has a "nesting" feature for this type of thing. In Illustrator, place your UltraSEPS file, and place your register marks above and below the art. Now reduce your artboard to fit tightly around the image, let's say it comes to 4" wide. When printing, it will put those 4" wide seps next to each other horizontally, so you could get 3 across on a 13 x 19 sheet; we use a 17" roll, so we could do a 4 color that way.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ITZDesign

• I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 05:35:56 PM »

This is how I've been doing the images lately. Wanted to see if there was another way.

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 09:48:54 AM »
AccuRip’s nesting feature was always my go-to.