Author Topic: Ink Owl Pigment inks for transfers  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Ink Owl Pigment inks for transfers
« on: December 06, 2022, 01:52:51 PM »
With the closing of Cobra, I have had to find a new source for pigment inks for my transfers. Although Heat Transfer Warehouse apparently now handle the same formulas, they really raised the price, and have not even had steady stock in all colors at the same time since I started looking into this a year ago! Cobra also supplied color profiles for different papers which were quite helpful.
So, I am about to try Ink Owl inks, and wondered if any others out there are in the same boat?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ixpoz

• Verified/Junior
Re: Ink Owl Pigment inks for transfers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 03:01:15 PM »
I’ve used many different flavors of ink owl ink, including dye sub, dye-based black for film, canon wide format inks and epson inks and I’ve been happy thus far with their products.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2022, 03:07:05 PM »
I just used their " premium pigment" yesterday for the first time.
With the settings I'm used to, and the Cobra color profile for JPSS paper, I'm finding a need to lighten the image a hair via gamma. Still tweaking the settings, but it will work just fine.
Digging not having cartridges not getting recognized with the new Eco Tank I picked up. 

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 09:15:17 AM »
Somewhat relevant to this, does anyone know of a past thread where there was a discussion of using JPSS with a plotter to cut in and let one remove the top coated layer? It sounds like it would be better than scissors. I can't seem to find much discussion on the interweb...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 11:06:13 AM »
Somewhat relevant to this, does anyone know of a past thread where there was a discussion of using JPSS with a plotter to cut in and let one remove the top coated layer? It sounds like it would be better than scissors. I can't seem to find much discussion on the interweb...

Steve

I think that that process is used on the "papers" for darks, which have a distinct vinyl layer which can be peeled off without heat. btw, I usually use an x-acto knife and a cutting mat. You can probably set up your JPSS transfers to cut with a backing mat on your vinyl cutter, but not just the top layer.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:14:33 AM by Frog »

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2022, 09:29:54 AM »
Yeah, when I tested it, it wasn't happening, so yes, an Xacto #11 (I think I still have a Ulano swivel somewhere too)

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't