Author Topic: Dryer Heat Exchanger  (Read 2754 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Dryer Heat Exchanger
« on: January 10, 2023, 01:55:26 PM »
On the old old board I recall seeing a picture of someones shop that they had installed a heat exchanger on the dryer exhaust.
It was impressive. Ring a bell to anyone?

It's a ton of wasted heat going out the roof, and recapturing some during these cold months seems ideal.
FWIW years ago I installed a larger diameter duct over our main duct with a blower on one end an exhaust on the other.
My mechanical engineering friend said it wasn't going to work and he was right. You need a lot more surface area
than that.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Dryer Heat Exchanger
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 09:56:31 PM »
On the old old board I recall seeing a picture of someones shop that they had installed a heat exchanger on the dryer exhaust.
It was impressive. Ring a bell to anyone?

It's a ton of wasted heat going out the roof, and recapturing some during these cold months seems ideal.
FWIW years ago I installed a larger diameter duct over our main duct with a blower on one end an exhaust on the other.
My mechanical engineering friend said it wasn't going to work and he was right. You need a lot more surface area
than that.

SancoTechnology in Europe got a heat exchanger for their Clean Burn Dryers.  Here is a pdf. The heat exchanger is at the bottom right hand side, second page. Very small image, sorry.

http://www.sancotechnology.com/pdf/clean_burn_brochure_cpn.pdf

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 11:21:14 PM »
Was it possibly this that you remember?

If it was, this was designed to pull heat escaping from all sides of the unit to outside for venting and dramatically dropped the temperatures working around the dryer.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 12:23:14 PM »
SancoTechnology in Europe got a heat exchanger for their Clean Burn Dryers.  Here is a pdf. The heat exchanger is at the bottom right hand side, second page. Very small image, sorry.

Dope, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Of course Europe is ahead of US in energy usage/conservation.
I wonder if they manufacture the radiator itself or if there is some other industry that can use that sort of thing.

If it was, this was designed to pull heat escaping from all sides of the unit to outside for venting and dramatically dropped the temperatures working around the dryer.

Visually very similar, but the sheetmetal box was suspended from a ceiling, with inlets/outlets for the dryer exhaust and
clean heated air.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 01:17:57 PM »
It's not really obvious, but there are 2 exhaust lines in the picture.  One is a rigid one that exhausts the dryer outside.  The flex line has a small in-line fan and captures the perimeter escaping heat and exhausts that also outside, but could easily be made to distribute the (more) clean heat to wherever.  I have a smaller working area and was trying to lower the surrounding temperature and it worked well.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2023, 08:22:36 AM »

Dope, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Of course Europe is ahead of US in energy usage/conservation.
I wonder if they manufacture the radiator itself or if there is some other industry that can use that sort of thing.

Visually very similar, but the sheetmetal box was suspended from a ceiling, with inlets/outlets for the dryer exhaust and
clean heated air.

The ROQ Sahara dryer got as well an optional heat exchanger.