Author Topic: Axiom Arcus DTF Printer  (Read 2317 times)

Offline jwcarder

• Verified/Junior
Axiom Arcus DTF Printer
« on: February 12, 2023, 11:54:16 AM »
Has anyone used any of Axiom’s equipment in a production environment?

I had a chance to see their 14” printer at ISS and was impressed. I have tried to do additional research the last few weeks and can’t find much about the equipment or the company. The only real source I’ve seen is the Axiom America website.

Even if the equipment is great, it makes me nervous not being able to find much info about them. Anyone have thoughts?

https://www.axiomamerica.com/product-p/adtf-24-complete.htm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 12:24:16 PM by jwcarder »

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: Axiom Arcus DTF Printer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 10:47:56 AM »
Haven ’t heard of them but that doesn’t mean much right now. People are building these like making waffles at Waffle House.
But just like many have seen, it’s best to go with one that is specifically designed and built to do the DTF. The converted printers seems to cause a lot more issues I’m hearing.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online 1964GN

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 07:33:49 AM »
I would look at the Velox from SPSI. I spent some time with the people behind the testing etc and it seems to be the best one at the moment, with the best support.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 11:09:23 AM »
What is the difference between the process Supacolor uses versus the other typical DTF systems? There is a clear difference when you compare the two
"No man is an island"

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023, 09:37:57 PM »
What is the difference between the process Supacolor uses versus the other typical DTF systems? There is a clear difference when you compare the two

Supacolor, TKO, Stahls, Apex, Howard Transfer all use a hybrid process where the colors are digitally printed, and then the white is screen printed.  Supacolor is secretive about their process but it's probably similar to the others where they use a INO printing line paired with a digital printer to produce the transfers

see - https://ino-ziri.si/screen-printing-lines/ / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwA4ffBbWsI

And DTF is all on one machine digitally printing the color, and then the white, which then gets powered and dried through another unit.  The benefits is you can control the white so it can have gradient fades, and produce one piece very easily.  To cons is white ink through a printhead is always problematic long term, and the opacity isn't as good as the hybrid transfers, however the hand feel is nicer because of that issue. 

see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFQYTAiqQzo different DTF options and how they work.

DTF can be great for inside neck labels, or the right images, and Hybrid transfers still have their place.  Using both is good, and having DTF in house would be nice but I personally wouldn't want to pay to be basically a beta tester.

Today I pressed traditional vinyl, print & cut vinyl, supa transfers, and a DTF transfer. They all have their pro's and con's so knowing when best to use what from the point of contact with the client is good knowledge to have as the price can be very different so having that up front and not having to pivot for a loss is key.

As EastWestMachines.com says, More Pressin' Less Stressin' and using the right transfer for the right job is key.  Quantity, placement, image, substrate, material, price, turnaround time are all factors in choosing.

As it pertains to Axiom, I have no knowledge of them, but I would recommend  making sure they have good support, and ask for contacts of any users to see if you can get a realistic testimonial on the trials and tribulations of DTF printing and their machine and support.

Offline jwcarder

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 08:07:08 AM »
That is great info. Thank you! I hadn’t seen the hybrid process before.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 11:57:59 AM »
I've heard so many people say in our biz but not the home biz folks that they wouldn't fool with inhouse DTF because of the white ink issue/print quality and the TKO's ,Supacolor, etc are the way to go, order boom and done.  Well you can't compare these smaller DTF printers to a company that has spent millions to print for the mass public, I've seen TKO setup and it is really nice, but for me I like having my little DTF printer inhouse, it let's me knock out jobs as fast as I can get the art done and hit print, to me it's extra income that I would normally turn away because of the low qty and high color ct.  Far as pressing tons of heat transfers as my man Homer might would say piss on that that is what I have an automatic press for.  There're plenty of good small DTF printers being make now and yes it's a market for it if you like doing stuff inhouse and don't plan on selling to the mass public printing thousands of transfers a day.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 02:58:48 PM »
I have a Mutoh from STS in Florida.
They had a few issues with the white but have a new printer with a white circulation that works really well.
Their tech support is good and they stand behind their product.
Their color profile is the best I've seen and we get really good wash tests.
If you don't do a lot and have customers that can wait outsourcing is a good option.
I think DTF is going to keep growing and I'm happy we have it in house.
You need to be careful because there are a lot of bad machines around.
Mutoh is a established Japanese made unit and STS inks have been around a long time.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2023, 11:11:52 AM »

Supacolor, TKO, Stahls, Apex, Howard Transfer all use a hybrid process where the colors are digitally printed, and then the white is screen printed.  Supacolor is secretive about their process but it's probably similar to the others where they use a INO printing line paired with a digital printer to produce the transfers

see - https://ino-ziri.si/screen-printing-lines/ / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwA4ffBbWsI

And DTF is all on one machine digitally printing the color, and then the white, which then gets powered and dried through another unit.  The benefits is you can control the white so it can have gradient fades, and produce one piece very easily.  To cons is white ink through a printhead is always problematic long term, and the opacity isn't as good as the hybrid transfers, however the hand feel is nicer because of that issue. 

see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFQYTAiqQzo different DTF options and how they work.

DTF can be great for inside neck labels, or the right images, and Hybrid transfers still have their place.  Using both is good, and having DTF in house would be nice but I personally wouldn't want to pay to be basically a beta tester.

Today I pressed traditional vinyl, print & cut vinyl, supa transfers, and a DTF transfer. They all have their pro's and con's so knowing when best to use what from the point of contact with the client is good knowledge to have as the price can be very different so having that up front and not having to pivot for a loss is key.

As EastWestMachines.com says, More Pressin' Less Stressin' and using the right transfer for the right job is key.  Quantity, placement, image, substrate, material, price, turnaround time are all factors in choosing.

As it pertains to Axiom, I have no knowledge of them, but I would recommend  making sure they have good support, and ask for contacts of any users to see if you can get a realistic testimonial on the trials and tribulations of DTF printing and their machine and support.

Excellent post!  This is where the good stuff is.
FB is fun, interesting and convenient since we are reading feeds from family and business, but when people in the apparel business want the good stuff. This is it.
This is where you come to find people that are serious the game and have something great to share. ZaneGun08 is one of the key players here.  If we had a badge for members with honors, I’d be giving him one for this post alone.

Thanks for the informative post!
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850