Author Topic: Canva!!  (Read 3232 times)

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Canva!!
« on: April 03, 2023, 05:48:31 PM »
 If this is in the wrong spot please move.

Does anyone have a problem with "professional graphic artists" working in canva? I keep getting these horrible designs form people. They swear up one side and down the other that these are vector files and get REALLY angry when I want to bill an art charge. I get files that are .eps and .svg but they are really poor quality. There is now way I can print an 8' banner from this crap. They don't want to pay any art charges because vista print and the like don't charge...
I am just trying to figure out if anyone else is seeing this trend? How do you deal with it?
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Canva!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 05:54:41 PM »
yessir..... It's the CriKet Karen's weapon of choice to make their illeagal dye sub tumblers to sell on Facebook marketplace.

Zoom in on the pixels, screen capture and send it back, are you SURE you want me to print this?!...... These "artists" know just enough to be dangerous...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2023, 07:32:06 PM »
If your prices aren't already listed then just build the cost into redrawing into the price if it needs to be redrawn.

I know you are just venting, but we all deal with bad art, you can try to charge separate, people will balk at paying +$25-$50 for having their art reworked, but if that $25-$50 was just in the cost of the banner they wouldn't have anything to argue about.

I've seen banners printed that are super blurry, be better than those companies that just print poorly.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 07:48:29 AM »
My wife uses canvas to do the ads in our advertising paper that we also own. Granted the largest we need ia 10" x 10" . But I have her make it that size and use the 300 dpi and save. I have not used it, but im wondering if they (the customer) can make it to the legit banner size? This way you can tell them that if they do not want to pay an art charge they can recreate themselves in a better format.

If you happen to get alot of canva files, maybe something to look into so you can tell them to do it.

OR.....just add it in to the cost of the banner...>LOL

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 10:19:13 AM »
We were receiving Canva files for a while, so I had to dig in a little to see what the options were for saving so I could advise them the best way to save it. "Professional Artists", heh... I've been fixing images since the seventies, have created thousands of images for t-shirts, and I don't call myself an artist, more of an "arter", as I manipulate more than create. I don't create images outside of work hardly ever, as I'm a lifelong musician and would rather play than create an image. I'll bet we all have a tone of stories about "artists" like this...

Steve
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 04:06:11 PM by Sbrem »
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline farmboygraphics

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2023, 02:31:16 PM »
I'm getting more and more canva files and considering biting the ($120 yr) bullet so I can end the endless back and forth with customers.
Yes, it many very well not be a "professional" program, but it feels like change is on the wind and we may very well need to sway with the breeze. :-(
Tees and Coffee

Offline DonR

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2023, 03:24:32 PM »
I get them daily.  I would not call anyone using Canva a professional graphic artist.  Most are using the free version and the files are just not good enough to print.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 08:08:57 AM »
After telling the customer that we have to charge $100 art charge for making their very low res complicated jpeg from canva work for printing, they went full Karen and sent us this wonderful vetorized .svg that was obviously traced. You may not be able to tell but that is supposed to be a quad rider.

"No man is an island"

Offline dsh

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 08:39:10 AM »
The offset print shop we share the building with has their customer use PDF print under file tab.  Then specify RGB below that in the box.  I then get a reasonable image to screen print.  The customer does have to start with a good image.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 08:51:19 AM »
After telling the customer that we have to charge $100 art charge for making their very low res complicated jpeg from canva work for printing, they went full Karen and sent us this wonderful vetorized .svg that was obviously traced. You may not be able to tell but that is supposed to be a quad rider.

So this is like a puzzle, "can you find the hidden quad rider?"

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 09:07:00 AM »

So this is like a puzzle, "can you find the hidden quad rider?"

Steve

Yes and there is several of them and a lot of text and everything is distressed. The most perfect combination of graphics for a low res non commercial software.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 10:04:25 AM »
Crap Mike if you hadn't said what that was I thought it was a hmmm lol, I think we all get really bad art files and your correct no one wants to pay art, it's already assway done  ::).  Had a friend close his shop just recent and he told his customers to come to us, finding out now he didn't charge for art and they want the same from us, so you can guess how that is working out around here.   I don't have a big problem with home biz, but I wish they would learn the biz and charge right for there service, but I guess that's how they get over by cutting corners until they get in over there heads, then they run to my shop for help.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 03:27:42 PM »

Before I read this, I thought it was am image of a crumpled up sheet of paper.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850