Author Topic: How do I do this?  (Read 2612 times)

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
How do I do this?
« on: April 25, 2023, 10:00:04 AM »
I have this scanned photo at 600DPI the customer wants just two colors, going on a navy shirt. White and red in the flag and flame. No backgroud just the men flag and fire. How the hell do I do this? Thinking I have to mask out the part to be left but whats the best way to turn everything white and pull red to print on top? Isn't everything going to be in negative since it is white?

"No man is an island"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: How do I do this?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 11:25:28 AM »
You are going to have to put in a lot of photo manipulation/editing on this one. The seps are the least of your worries. LOL.

Once it's masked out well, with the smoke fading off to the shirt color (where it's grey smoke), Try looking at the RGB or cmyk  channels and see if you can pull just the red areas out.
This is one of those jobs that you will have to get into it first before you can see how you might approach it.  Masking is your first step.  It may come easier (more clear as to what to do) after that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 11:41:43 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 11:34:33 AM »
My way takes more work than you might want to do, but anyway I would take my polygonal lasso and remove any background or parts I don't need, which would leave you the men, fire, flag and smoke this way let's you have more control of what you want instead of a auto background remover or masking.  Then duplicate make one a gray scale invert to white and then pull the colors from the color layer you need and blend then back in.  I don't really follow any set rules I just make it up as I go along working until I get what I need, but I'm sure someone on here has a much better easier way of doing this, I'm still kind of old school even though I have updated software LOL

darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 03:17:22 PM »
I might manipulate the file so that the stripes in the flag are white, mask of what you don't want, and possibly try indexing with just white and red, if you're familiar with the process. I'd also try to talk the customer into adding yellow to make the flames look better.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 07:20:32 PM »
depending on how much your charging for art, I would mask out the guys, mask out the flag/box. then do a rough cut on the flames, add in my own smoke. Sep as I go, makes it easier to build. I made some monochrome smoke elements if you want them.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline prozyan

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 09:28:55 PM »
Not necessarily helpful, but the way I would do this is pay a professional to do the art/seps and charge the customer.  If the customer doesn't want to pay, then let them be someone else's problem.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 09:42:16 PM »
Not necessarily helpful, but the way I would do this is pay a professional to do the art/seps and charge the customer.  If the customer doesn't want to pay, then let them be someone else's problem.

\(°.°)/

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 12:23:50 PM »

this to me sometimes is the fun part of this biz, learning how to get e print together then sharing that info to help others
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 02:28:48 PM »

this to me sometimes is the fun part of this biz, learning how to get e print together then sharing that info to help others

I agree Darryl, it's my favorite part of the job. I learned color separating ages ago, before separation software, but would not do it like that anymore, UltraSeps saves me a lot of time. Like any tool though, one need to know how to use it...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 03:39:53 PM »
Thanks all.

I ended up just going down and dirty, no money in this job and they wouldn't pay even if they had it. So I did basically what some here said and just made it abstract. Pic makes it look a lot worse than it actually is, that was just a set up shirt, most importantly they loved it.

"No man is an island"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 06:49:53 PM »
Back when we did a lot of "fire" prints for the entertainment industry, it was often felt by the separators that three seps/screens were required just to capture the flame part of the image correctly....ie highlight/midtone/shadow, (yellow, orange, red).
Good job on escaping that