Author Topic: Another Stretch Issue, this time vinyl  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Another Stretch Issue, this time vinyl
« on: June 14, 2023, 11:24:31 AM »
It's really tough to find material good on both nylon and with stretch properties.
Years ago, I used some Gorilla Grip 2 on some swimsuits, and it was a bitch! Making it tougher was the fact that it was small and detailed, and the backing sheet on that stuff is non-adhesive. Tough to weed.
At any rate, I had much better luck with their Super Film, and it even had a better stretch and rebound rating. Since it was my go-to film for this application, naturally, they discontinued it.
I was left with only Sport Film Lite, which for the most part works pretty well, and I keep it in stock in the most common white.
However, I was asked about some sports bras and leggings that are nylon with a whopping 29% Lycra content.
My first thought was that could well outstretch most stretch vinyls.
Stahls reps seem to just go from a script, and then suggest a test print.
Any thoughts, or even better, anyone do a lot of swim teams?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Another Stretch Issue, this time vinyl
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 11:56:00 AM »
Siser EasyWeed Stretch HTV, have you looked into this?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 12:17:37 PM »
doesn't stick to nylon

Offline scrubz

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 12:53:52 PM »
I have used the Stahls Tek Opaque, it is print/cut but can be used without printing, just white. You would need to mask it after weeding, but applies to everything at a low temp.  Stretch is good as well.  You just don't reverse the cut.

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2023, 09:20:44 AM »
Thermoflex has a "Turbo" series, but there is nothing in the description pertaining to strech.

https://specialtymaterials.com/
Dale Hoyal

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 09:58:17 AM »
Thermoflex has a "Turbo" series, but there is nothing in the description pertaining to strech.

https://specialtymaterials.com/

Right, it does not list stretch as one of its attributes.
A note on Specialty Materials though, over the years, I found their techs the absolute best in the biz. Very eager to help and even eager to learn along with me when I had a question that raised a new unknown. They actually went and tried to duplicate a situation I had and report their findings to me in the same day! I only moved away from them as my everyday vinyl because Siser became much easier and faster for me to get.

BTW, an update on my nylon stretch project, using Stahls Sport Film Lite, it seems to have plenty of stretch, with my only problem being the non stck backing sheet making small detail a lot tougher. (then again, I often try to cut smaller than is advised)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 01:48:52 PM »
 I found their techs the absolute best in the biz. Very eager to help and even eager to learn along with me when I had a question that raised a new unknown.

I agree with you Frog, many years ago when we did tons of sports stuff, Stahls was our go to and one of the reps came by to see us, and I was telling him about the problem with a certain vinyl bleeding on red garments, low and behold in  a few weeks I got a box in the mail with some new vinyl to try, problem solved, but yeah I've moved from them somewhat as they where having problems filling orders.  Took us 2 months to get some rolls of vinyl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!