Author Topic: Vector image with linked files- how do I separate this?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Vector image with linked files- how do I separate this?
« on: July 13, 2023, 04:58:02 AM »
I got a .ai file, all vectors (white, red, black) apart from two linked images (.png) that are part of that artwork two. How would I go by and separate this without loosing the vectors in this image. The linked files are as well just black and white and I just need the white part of those images?

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Re: Vector image with linked files- how do I separate this?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 09:47:49 AM »
Can you trace the pngs and make them the same color as something else that is already vector?
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 09:48:54 AM »
are the png's single color, or multi color? If single, you can open one in Photoshop and convert it to a bitmap tif, (50% threshold) then replace the png with it, and color it black red or white. If it has tones, use the halftone option in the bitmap box instead of the 50% threshold, and again, replace the png with it and color it. Bitmap tiffs can be colored with any color in your Illustrator pallet. IF the 2 png's are single color images... Hope this helps.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2023, 11:41:25 AM »
Tiffs can work and be colorized, custom ink provided files like that a lot, you can also put separated PSD's placed in illustrator as well, downside of that method is CMYK will alway show when you hit print, you can click off those channels but it always bugs me.

The way I've done this is to make a Photoshop DCS 2.0, which saves as an .EPS which gets placed into illustrator.

I attached an image here that has both vector and raster elements in the same file, with sections set to overprint and some that will not overprint and will knock out of the raster separation.  There is a transparent vector part which would become a gradient for the shading on the left post

The vector grass has a base.

Basically tried to include everything in this separation to show examples of different use case.

This is a great method as you get the best of both worlds, easier to separate complex images in photoshop, but still get crispy vector text or small elements that wouldn't be as clean if coming from photoshop.

Have to download the .zip as it has both the .pdf and .eps in there as you can't attach a .pdf

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 12:42:28 PM »
Coreldraw. *ducks under desk*
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2023, 10:22:25 AM »
Tiffs can work and be colorized, custom ink provided files like that a lot, you can also put separated PSD's placed in illustrator as well, downside of that method is CMYK will alway show when you hit print, you can click off those channels but it always bugs me.

The way I've done this is to make a Photoshop DCS 2.0, which saves as an .EPS which gets placed into illustrator.

I attached an image here that has both vector and raster elements in the same file, with sections set to overprint and some that will not overprint and will knock out of the raster separation.  There is a transparent vector part which would become a gradient for the shading on the left post

The vector grass has a base.

Basically tried to include everything in this separation to show examples of different use case.

This is a great method as you get the best of both worlds, easier to separate complex images in photoshop, but still get crispy vector text or small elements that wouldn't be as clean if coming from photoshop.

Have to download the .zip as it has both the .pdf and .eps in there as you can't attach a .pdf

I used the DCS method for a long time, and it worked great. But once I learned I could just save the PS RGB with the channels and place them directly, and they brought the colors listed into the Illustrator pallet, we could then assign one of those imported colors to the vector elements, and just print out the seps. The RGB on top of the channels in the preview doesn't bug me, it drives our artist crazy, but I do the higher end stuff anyway. As for the Corel Draw mention, how does what they do really differ from how Adobe handles it? You know, 6 of one, a half dozen of another... just curious, you don't have to duck...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline CBCB

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2023, 11:43:54 AM »
I would open those linked files in Photoshop and set them to grayscale. Then apply the spot colours on the Illustrator side. Boom done.

Offline zanegun08

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023, 02:29:37 PM »
The RGB on top of the channels in the preview doesn't bug me, it drives our artist crazy, but I do the higher end stuff anyway.As for the Corel Draw mention, how does what they do really differ from how Adobe handles it? You know, 6 of one, a half dozen of another... just curious, you don't have to duck...

I agree with you, just seeing CMYK Channels in a separation when going to print typically means something was wrong but if you understand what you are doing it's another great solution.  I like that method as you can have your PSD be your working file and separation file as one, since saving as an EPS you strip out all your editable info when with a PSD you can just turn those layers off so your RGB or CMYK are empty.

Saving as greyscale or as tiffs and colorizing in illustrator is also another option as CBCB said, which I think works great for one colors but DCS or PSD is better for multi colors.

There are many ways to approach this, and it really comes down to each graphic is unique and should be processed in the most efficient way for you.

And Evo, you work for OSI, and like any professional business they use Adobe, he was just playing devils advocate.  I think it'd be a pretty unique business to have computer to screen and use corel draw, but I'm sure there is someone out there.

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023, 09:26:05 PM »

he was just playing devils advocate.

Nah, more of a joke that didn't land.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)