Author Topic: Computer Components Vendors  (Read 2566 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Computer Components Vendors
« on: August 17, 2023, 04:18:26 PM »
I need to build a new comp and I'm wondering if anyone has a preferred vendor for these sorts of things?
I was always a brick and mortar buyer but since Fry's got run into the ground I'm not sure where to turn.
The last time I bought components online was when the internet was new and Newegg was a reputable company.

If anyone wants to open a Micro Center out west you'd make a killing. There's an enormous vacuum in that market.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Computer Components Vendors
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 04:23:17 PM »
I need to build a new comp and I'm wondering if anyone has a preferred vendor for these sorts of things?
I was always a brick and mortar buyer but since Fry's got run into the ground I'm not sure where to turn.
The last time I bought components online was when the internet was new and Newegg was a reputable company.

If anyone wants to open a Micro Center out west you'd make a killing. There's an enormous vacuum in that market.

I used to deal a lot with the now-closed Tiger Direct, but also a bit with Newegg. What bad luck did you have with Newegg?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 04:27:37 PM »
Not the most convenient for you but Central Computers in Santa Clara is excellent. I built 2 systems a couple years ago, about 75% of the components came from there.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 04:32:17 PM »

I used to deal a lot with the now-closed Tiger Direct, but also a bit with Newegg. What bad luck did you have with Newegg?

I've ordered from Tiger Direct as well, funny those two used to be the go to places.

Newegg sent me four bad touch screen monitors in a row. Not technically their fault but they also seem
to have gone the Amazon route of offering literally anything their vendors will ship. Meh.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 04:34:32 PM »
Not the most convenient for you but Central Computers in Santa Clara is excellent. I built 2 systems a couple years ago, about 75% of the components came from there.

I appreciate the recommendation, I figured the south bay must have a store for this sort of thing.
Gotta time it right though, 680/880 traffic can be grueling.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2023, 04:52:24 PM »
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 05:10:52 PM »

I appreciate the recommendation, I figured the south bay must have a store for this sort of thing.
Gotta time it right though, 680/880 traffic can be grueling.

Make a day trip to the SC boardwalk and hit it on the way back.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 05:22:30 PM »
https://signburst.com/inferno/

I figured somebody must be assembling computers for our needs.
But Intel?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 05:27:00 PM »

My friends' guitar teacher was responsible for that horrific santa cruz beach boardwalk
Beach Boys cover song. Sorry to anyone that knows it and now has it stuck in their head.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2023, 06:34:27 PM »

My friends' guitar teacher was responsible for that horrific santa cruz beach boardwalk
Beach Boys cover song. Sorry to anyone that knows it and now has it stuck in their head.

No Beach Boys, but rather the Rivieras! (Also covered by The Ramones)
But yeah, the commercial shamelessly even makes no attempt to rhyme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy57Xdk9u0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Q4VDeqrRU
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 06:38:00 PM by Frog »
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 11:26:25 AM »
I'm only familiar with the Ramones version, which I auto assumed was the Beach Boys due to Joeys admiration of them,
and really very odd california surf music in general.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2023, 03:48:23 PM »
I was a Beach Boys fan when I was little, my older brother by 8 years had their earliest. I don't recall that tune though. When the Beatles hit, the Beach Boys took a big hit, but were still always respected.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't