Author Topic: Shop gets locked down, Product and Equipment confiscated, Owner goes to jail.  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
This stuff is no joke.

People often think it's just a tee shirt. Nobody's gonna care.

https://www.arlingtontx.gov/news/my_arlington_t_x/news_stories/detectives_seize__650_000_in_counterfeit_merch
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
All there going to do is open up in another place and keep pumping it out, what can you do?
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline GoWestRob

• !!!
interesting, thanks for posting

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
I do a lot of one piece and small orders, and seem to often attract folks who want me to use images that they may or may not realize are copyrighted.
"But I'm not selling these" is the most common thing I hear.
"But I am", is my reply.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I do a lot of one piece and small orders, and seem to often attract folks who want me to use images that they may or may not realize are copyrighted.
"But I am", is my reply.

Because, as printers, we are supposed to know, playing dumb won't work.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
"But I am", is my reply.

Steve

I've had stuff get past me before, like the stupid whale from Vineyard Vines.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
"But I am", is my reply.

Steve

I've had stuff get past me before, like the stupid whale from Vineyard Vines.

When I have doubts. I post the image online, right click,  and do a Google search for it.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member

When I have doubts. I post the image online, right click,  and do a Google search for it.

We've always taken a super hardline stance on copyright, but I think a bootlegger of a band
on tour from Thailand pulled one over on us once. Not really sure though, the image didn't
exist on the internet but that doesn't mean anything in terms of copycats.

We won't even do the local sports team using the same colors but not the logo designs.
They always ask why and I tell them that we already print for X team and then suddenly we don't hear from them again.

I always knew the fines for copyright infringement were stiff, but I didn't know there was possible jail time.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
I think the difference between a civil suit and a criminal suit is the $.
If it’s proven that you not only infringed, but knowingly and purposefully infringed and gained a lot of  money, a good lawyer could argue theft. In this case, with all of the DTF business starting up, I’m thinking they want to send a nice, clear message to others.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
So the other odd thing I was thinking about this one is if you are making counterfeit patches why would you do it domestically?
You could be running a million heads in China at minimal labor cost, no threat of law, and if customs seizes some who cares.
I don't know, seems odd, but maybe that's why I'm not in the counterfeiting business.

I have a friend that works at a Louis Vuitton factory/repair place in the Dallas area. I wonder if the
proximity has anything to do with it. To the Mystery Mobile!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
The Indians and Chinese or most any 3rd world type business like to also come here and try to pretty much work the same way.  You will see a lot of “family” and friends get work visas and work in these places. Often for pretty close to the same pay as they would get over in their country. I have known and know one or two shops similar to this scenario. And some of those I’ve known will have no issues bootlegging. It’s so common in their countries. Part of business.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
had a guy come in today wanting his golf cart wrapped in Harley-Davidson. I said no thanks, nothing I could do, copyright infringement, law suits, blah blah blah. He turned into a jerk about it, I returned the favor.....

I may or may not have turned in a local "CriKet Karen" business for making bootleg NFL apparel... I'm over it, 100k for a license and you're trying to bypass the system due to ignorance?, nope....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
We're the same, we don't touch it, no value in it, too much to lose, etc. Just because a customer doesn't "get it" is no reason to risk our businesses.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
Years ago I had a customer printing the number 13 on black tees. They got a cease and desist letter from the nfl. I guess it was a dolphins/marino thing. My customer told me that is exactly what they were doing. I did not catch it though. I am not a big sports guy but even if I was I am not sure that I would have made the connection. I am not saying the guys in the article don't deserve to be punished but I think that not being allowed to print a number on a shirt is a little over the top.
When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Years ago I had a customer printing the number 13 on black tees. They got a cease and desist letter from the nfl. I guess it was a dolphins/marino thing. My customer told me that is exactly what they were doing. I did not catch it though. I am not a big sports guy but even if I was I am not sure that I would have made the connection. I am not saying the guys in the article don't deserve to be punished but I think that not being allowed to print a number on a shirt is a little over the top.

Probably depends on the context on that. 13 is probably fine, it's probably not fine with Dolphins colors also or any other connecting reference.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube