Author Topic: Illustrator created PDF that won't open or import into Illustrator  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Illustrator created PDF that won't open or import into Illustrator
« on: September 06, 2023, 10:53:33 AM »
This is a new one for me. I got file (7 page pdf) yesterday that we can neither open or place in Illustrator or Photoshop. We can however, open it with Adobe Reader or Preview (Mac's pdf reader). Normally if you open a multi-page pdf in Illy, you are presented with a dialog box asking if you want to open all the pages, or choose one them to open. That dialog box does not appear. The message I get is that it's not a properly formatted file. Now, one trick we've used before is to open it with Preview, and export as a pdf. That is not working this time. Our artist had a little luck, as she uses Illy 2017 (she hates to upgrade) and we found live type on top of vector outlined type, and could work out the quote for the left front. Does anyone have any thoughts on this weirdness?

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Illustrator created PDF that won't open or import into Illustrator
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 01:13:25 PM »
Can you open the file with Notepad++?  Sometimes the raw code will give an indication of how the file was created for a clue, but not always.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 02:58:23 PM »
That would be Text Edit on a Mac, no Notepad, but I'll check that out. I did figure out that it was put together in Canva, then saved as an .svg; then opened in Inkscape, and exported to .eps. Unfortunately, knowing this doesn't help much, but I was able to extract a few pieces. I told the customer to send us the files without the apparel in them, and left it on their plate.

Steve

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 04:46:45 PM »
Have T seen that issue before.   Sorry.   Always something new.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 09:06:44 AM »
As I get older and recognize the passage of time, I find that I don't appreciate these time-suck issues. I did figure out a way to get the vectors out of the pdf in Inkscape by copying an image to a new page and exporting it as an .eps, but taking the time to figure it out sucks. Really, an Adobe pdf that can't be edited by either Illustrator or Photoshop, the whole world is upside down, we're all gonna die!

Steve