Author Topic: Machine Feelings  (Read 3155 times)

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Machine Feelings
« on: September 15, 2023, 02:45:53 PM »
Has anyone else ever noticed the phenomenon of when you go to replace a machine or part of any type
that it suddenly starts acting right? It is the strangest thing and I've seen it across literally everything,
from the smallest valve to an entire dryer. I'm putting together a new comp today and I'll be gosh darned
if this old one suddenly doesn't seem snappier, and the network bug I'm largely replacing it for
(occasionally won't see NAS) is gone.

Also as a reminder to mostly myself, machine failures are not always the catastrophic events we expect them to be.
Our compressor has well over 50k hours on it and while humming along nicely, I can guarantee it isn't as efficient
as when new. Luckily we have a new one on the rack. I think I'll go threaten the old one with replacement and
see what it does.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Machine Feelings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 02:58:38 PM »
Isn't this similar to the engine noise that refuses to appear to the mechanic to whom you just brought your car?
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 03:01:22 PM »
not so much new parts but there is a HUGE difference when it's CLEAN... I want my stuff showroom condition, all the time. No lint, glue, ink, nothing. Wipe it down, lube it up, check for loose bolts. My main printer is famous for saying "well it was working fine yesterday"...no, it wasn't you just ignored it... I do know you have to talk nice to it when it's giving you fits............ Except for head 3 on one of my Barudan's, that emm effer can go eff itself....
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 03:21:13 PM »
Isn't this similar to the engine noise that refuses to appear to the mechanic to whom you just brought your car?
I would assume, yes, but I'd never bring anything to a mechanic haha.

I do know you have to talk nice to it when it's giving you fits............ Except for head 3 on one of my Barudan's, that emm effer can go eff itself....

Extremely true. I'm constantly telling the lady that she doesn't have to beat it like a lawn mower.
Not that she's capable or has ever even used a lawn mower but the point stands. Finesse is vital.
That is, until, that yes sir no sir chit goes out the window and the gloves come off and the torch comes out.

If it's every needle on the one head look at the rotary hook. Another wear item that doesn't fail catastrophically,
but will cause you misery. Or just threaten it with replacement for good measure.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 04:29:02 PM »
Not feeling well, make a doctor's appointment, suddenly, an hour before the appointment, everything is fine...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 08:54:06 PM »
"...it can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not stop…EVER..."
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)