Author Topic: Is this a garment defect or caused by scortching or, or.  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Is this a garment defect or caused by scortching or, or.
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:51:13 PM »
So, we are going through a numbe rof shirt from two different printers at my church.

The shirts are Tultex (chocolate).  We have the typical issues, sizes are not accurate nor consistent and color is off on some at varying times. I understand these to be common but unwanted.  The real issue I am seeing now, is that these Tultex tees are breaking up or developing holes in them similar to what yo might see from months eating holes in shirts over time. These are bran new shirts. Just printed last week. We have 2-4 different printers in my church and they move the stuff around a bot some time just to spread the work around. So I've never actually had someone print these shirts yet.

These Tultex shirts (the most recent order) came back with about 10-15% of them being discolored (to a bluish burnt affect). Some of them form the shape of the pallet. That makes me think they are over flashing them. The 2nd thing is that they are using a discharge ink on some and some form of heavy plastisol on others. Very inconsistent. I may be getting that next order. ;) below is a pic of the Tultex chocolate tees. This shirt is an example of what the others are doing Holes and deterioration. Does scorching do that?  Sort of like dry wrought?

I first thought she had to of caught that shirt on something but she swears no. It's my wife, so i believe her. LOL.  So I look closer, and can see a line going across the top of the shoulder (where you might see the endge of the pallet) and can see where the shirt is breaking down. You cna also see the beginning of another hole. The large one looks like a rip but not so much. No stretching or pulling indications that I can tell.  That back print is all discharge. The front is discharge as well. I do know the discharge is being done with a very small dryer so I'm not sure how that plays out on something like this. I hear about everyone needing  a decent sized dryer for good discharge. Maybe "trying' discharge on small dryers is not a good idea??

Anyone see this before?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Re: Is this a garment defect or caused by scortching or, or.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:16:37 PM »
I run discharge quite often on a small dryer (hopefully that will change in a couple weeks) but have not had any scorching burning issues but can see how it can happen if you really dont pay attention to your temp and belt speed. I turn my dryer down to about 600 degrees and run the belt really slow and put the shirt in twice and keep an eye on the shirt temp, I try not to get the shirt temp over 350 and they turn out well. But I can see if someone only slowed their belt speed down that they would be scorching shirts quite a bit.

Offline Lonestarapparel

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »
Dan,

I have had that happen before, not on Tultex but on the American Apparel shirt.  As my pallets got hotter I forgot to adjust my falsh time down and thus slightly burnt the shirts.   I noticed it when I tried to peel one off the pallet and I ripped the shirt right at the neck line, just like your picture shows.   

My bet is that they are overflashed more so then burnt going through the dryer.  Good Luck.

Brian 

Offline Evo

• Anything is possible.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:31:22 PM »
Definitely scorched, either with the flash or they tried to discharge them with an IR dryer with no forced air. (slow belt and too high temps)

Time to get the church to pick one good printer and stick with em.
There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.
John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:40:57 PM »
Yes you have to be very careful running discharge on an IR. It can be done but you definitely have to watch temps. Hopefully I will be picking up a bigger dryer with forced air here in the next couple weeks because I have been running alot of discharge lately.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »
I'd definitely say overflashed--it's really easy to do when you heat up the platens and forget to turn down the flash... Especially when you say they follow an outline of a platen.

Offline Tagless Threads

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:56:56 PM »
Looks like scorching but we have been getting a lot of shirts from our supplier with holes in them.

They even take the time to put a sticker with an arrow pointing to it ha ha. Maybe that should go in the reject pile? naaa the screen printer can deal with it.
Screen Printing - Tagless Threads
twitter - facebook - flickr

Offline Fluid

• !!!
  • Keep the Ink Moving... Stay Corelian My Friends!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:41:06 PM »
Looks like scorching but we have been getting a lot of shirts from our supplier with holes in them.

They even take the time to put a sticker with an arrow pointing to it ha ha. Maybe that should go in the reject pile? naaa the screen printer can deal with it.

we started seeing a lot of those as well  Amazing even after sticking them they still get sent out.

Awesome QC, eh
Richard
--Fluid       www.fluiddsn.com Graphic Designs, Color Separations & Film Output 15+ years Industry Experience - CorelDRAW MasterĀ®