Author Topic: Flash dryer temperature  (Read 2962 times)

Offline OhNoPrinting

• Verified/Junior
  • I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
Flash dryer temperature
« on: September 24, 2023, 10:39:22 AM »
Hey,

because I can now measure (donut) the heat of my flash dryer (quartz) on the platen, i was surprised it only reaches 100 C degree. Is that the right amount?

Black low cure ink dries to the touch in around 3 sec, but a lighter (mixed from different inks) color needs nearly 20sec. Didn´t measure the distance from dryer to platen, but there is still room to go down.

(I guess the answer is: if it works, don´t change it - but just want to know what others are using  :) )

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Flash dryer temperature
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 09:42:26 AM »
Hey,

because I can now measure (donut) the heat of my flash dryer (quartz) on the platen, i was surprised it only reaches 100 C degree. Is that the right amount?

Black low cure ink dries to the touch in around 3 sec, but a lighter (mixed from different inks) color needs nearly 20sec. Didn´t measure the distance from dryer to platen, but there is still room to go down.

(I guess the answer is: if it works, don´t change it - but just want to know what others are using  :) )
You wanna do that again after preheating your pallets. Your 20 secs. will quickly turn into 2-3 secs max. Our flash is set to 100 degrees C and once the pallets are hot we flash a white for1-2 seconds max. We have no more then 2 inches from pallet to flash.

Offline OhNoPrinting

• Verified/Junior
  • I’m new here, be gentle. :) Lets help each other out!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2023, 11:28:37 AM »
thanks and you are right: checked it again after 12 prints (i am very slow) and yes I could dial the time down to 5-6 sec. My flash is ~4.5cm from the garment.

Offline Admiral

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 05:00:39 PM »
We have M&R quartz flashes. About 2.25" from the platen.  With warmed platens, they take 2-3 sec to flash and are consistent.   Darker ink will flash quite a bit faster.  I wouldn't worry about donut probing but going by touch after the flash instead.  It should be gelled, dry, but not so dry it's falling apart / flaking off.