Author Topic: cap press issue  (Read 5169 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
cap press issue
« on: September 29, 2023, 09:58:17 AM »
I've had an old Hotronix cap press for years, that works really well on unstructured caps. Structured caps on the other hand are often a bit difficult as I can't get them to get close enough to the platen, like they stick up about a 1/4" off the platen. It  would seem that the radius of the caps is considerably shorter that the radius of the platen. It may be time to look at a new cap press, but any other ideas are welcome...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline ThePrinter

• Verified/Junior
Re: cap press issue
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 11:14:44 AM »
I have cut up a shirt and folded it to about the size platen or the size of the void and taped it on, to pad the voids on the structured caps. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 11:31:47 AM »
I looked into this once, and don't quote me but I believe it's Hotronix that offers different radiused platens/heat panels.
IE you can change them out for different scenarios.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 12:12:16 PM »
I did end up cutting the back out of a golf shirt, folding to fit the platen, taped it down, and got 37 out of 40 to come out just fine. I will check out Stahl's to see about the different radius attachment, thanks.

Steve

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 12:21:49 PM »
We have a few different models, I can say the Hotronix 360 IQ is mostly disappointing. We won't use it anymore for production except to take the pressure line out of the hat after initial pressing.....I've called that thing some really colorful names. Proworld had a decent one we picked up not too long ago for around 600.00, it came with other size platens too
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 01:39:22 PM »
We had that problem as well so I took a few old koozies cut them to size and placed underneath the cap, took out all the empty space, I wish they would make a platen that would kind of form with what ever cap you are heat pressing.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 02:04:12 PM »
I use "spacers" or custom "pillows" a lot, often using many thicknesses of paper towels cut in the right shape and taped with heat tape.
However, I also find that increased tension on the springy stretch hold-down helps.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Maxie

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 04:20:36 AM »
You can get silicone sheets on Ali Express in different thicknesses.   Really cheap.   Great for cutting up and putting on the press for hats, pockets, etc.
Maxie Garb.
T Max Designs.
Silk Screen Printers
www.tmax.co.il

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2023, 09:25:33 AM »
We have a few different models, I can say the Hotronix 360 IQ is mostly disappointing. We won't use it anymore for production except to take the pressure line out of the hat after initial pressing.....I've called that thing some really colorful names. Proworld had a decent one we picked up not too long ago for around 600.00, it came with other size platens too

Thank you, I have been considering one of those, but I think looking at some of the suggestions that I'll dig more deeply into those ideas rather than spend $1850.00 on the 360IQ

Steve

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2023, 09:48:25 AM »
We bought 2 360IQ's. Each one has a different set up for different hats. One has two rubber sheets attached to the lower platen for the super tough structured hats. The other is set up to do hat sides and unstructured hats. It has been working really well for us once we solved all the issues of different hat types.
"No man is an island"

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »
How does it work for structured caps?

Steve

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 01:19:47 PM »
How does it work for structured caps?

Steve

No doubt structured waas our biggest frustration. After a ton of trying different things we settled on building up the bottom platen super super thick with two pads, I forget what the pads are called. We buy sheets of it and cut to suit. We use heat tape to permanently hold the pads in place and they are cut to fut inside the cap just right. Then it takes a lot of pressure to get really good contact between the pad and cap and upper platen. But it works so we roll with it.
"No man is an island"