Author Topic: ink for 84% nylon/16% Lycra, etc.  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
ink for 84% nylon/16% Lycra, etc.
« on: October 04, 2023, 09:55:50 AM »
We're working on a project with a contract customer, and they are looking to print on some items we haven't run into before. I'll asking them to provide some samples for us to test on. One of them is as described above, 84% nylon and 16% Lycra.
Right off the bat, I'd say Nylobond and Stretch additive. I'm a little concerned about some type of chemical reaction, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this type of material? It's for some Lululemo products. Then there are some items from Ten Thousand, a new brand to me, and they seem rather upscale. These are 84% poly, and 16% Spandex (same as Lycra, yes?) so now we're thinking a gray blocking base and top color, both with stretch additive added. Again, has anyone worked with these? Like I said, we're going to require our customer provide some samples for testing. I hope everyone is having a nice day.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: ink for 84% nylon/16% Lycra, etc.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 10:50:10 AM »
We're working on a project with a contract customer, and they are looking to print on some items we haven't run into before. I'll asking them to provide some samples for us to test on. One of them is as described above, 84% nylon and 16% Lycra.
Right off the bat, I'd say Nylobond and Stretch additive. I'm a little concerned about some type of chemical reaction, and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this type of material? It's for some Lululemo products. Then there are some items from Ten Thousand, a new brand to me, and they seem rather upscale. These are 84% poly, and 16% Spandex (same as Lycra, yes?) so now we're thinking a gray blocking base and top color, both with stretch additive added. Again, has anyone worked with these? Like I said, we're going to require our customer provide some samples for testing. I hope everyone is having a nice day.

Steve

......RUN......
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 11:04:24 AM »
Check with One Stroke and see if their ELT-X series would be suitable.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 11:25:57 AM »

Steve

Steve

......RUN......

Stop, you're killing me... ;D

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 11:34:11 AM »
I will second trying One stroke, but it'd crazy how fast they are coming out with new crap to try and get a print on and you have to jump through hoops, do you remember when I ask you to contact a company your way about some inks? still never got in touch with them and the funny thing is I believe they had the ink that I needed.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 03:38:50 PM »
I wear Ten Thousand at CrossFit. They are nice Shorts. Been wearing a few years.

Ive switched all our inks over to One Stroke. I would bet that elt-x would work

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2023, 09:29:39 PM »
Supacolor it or low cure / air hybrid water base inks. Whats the volume? If over 100 just throw it on the auto and be done otherwise Supacolor it

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
Supacolor it or low cure / air hybrid water base inks. Whats the volume? If over 100 just throw it on the auto and be done otherwise Supacolor it

Short numbers, but it seems to be a test run. As I said, it's for a contract customer, so we're extra concerned about liability. A couple of screwed up pieces takes all the fun out of it, ya know? My other question would be if the ELT from One-Stroke will adhere to the nylon/lycra and stretch as well? Same question with the poly/lycra. We won't be trying any water based hybrids as we have zero experience with them, we've yet to have the need. Supacolor may be the way to go for this.

Steve

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 10:51:28 AM »
https://www.onestrokeinks.com/images/custom/ToolsDownloads/downloads/compliance/TDS/Ink/tds_elt_x_series.pdf

I have used this series several times on unlined poly coaches jackets with out mixing in catalyst. No bleed and no adhesion issues. TDS claims it is "stretchy".
Dale Hoyal

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2023, 01:13:38 PM »
The ELT from One Stroke would do good on that type of garment the next question is... the HEAT applied to cure it, read the instruction on cure temperatures
start low to high then, watch for dye migration. Test and retest depending on your dryer.